air flow sensor

my check engine light on 99 camry went on so I took car to the MASS dealer. They wanted 390 dollars to just replace sensor. outrageous.Isaid forget it They charged me 75 dollars diagnostic fee which I paid under protest. The dealership did nothing to repair problem. They even said another sensor could go in a month and cost another few hundred. I took the car to an independent dealer. He said it just had dust on it changing the resistance and fixed it for 95 dollars. Do most Toyota dealers try to hijack their customers like this? I like the car for reliability so far 67,000 miles, but dealer seems way inflated. Is 390 the going rate?

Reply to
viz

If they made a bad diagnosis , stop pay on your ck , or dispute the bill with your credit card co. Some are ripoffs, some are very fare, you just learned of one to stay away from

Reply to
mark Ransley

You could have bought the obd2 code reader for a hundred and read it yourself. Toyota wants almost 300 bucks for the AF sensor, they have many in stock, and it's a huge profit source for them. You can get a Bosch for somewhere between 69 and 129 bucks. It's that spark plug looking thing stuck in the exhaust manifold, staring right at you. A 10 minute fix.

mike

----------------

viz wrote:

Reply to
MB

That "spark plug looking thing" in the exhaust manifold is the Oxygen Sensor. Sounds like his problem was with the mass airflow sensor - a different part. If there are any other Toyota dealers nearby, you could check prices there, too. Sometimes they vary significantly. IIRC, the labor to change the front struts on my Camry was around $120 less at a dealer in the next city.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Mike: If you (a) read the TITLE of this thread and (b) note that the poster was told there "dust" on the sensor ... then you would know the discussion was NOT about the Air Fuel sensor located just after the catalyst (not be be confused with the O2 sensor located between the engine and the catalyst). The air mass (or air flow) sensor is located between the air filter housing and the throttle body and is VERY sensitive to dust accumulations PARTICULARLY where the owner has foolishly substituted an oil bath (K/N or UniFilter) filter element.

Reply to
Philip ®

So Phillip K&N are not good ?

Reply to
mark Ransley

In news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2172.public.lawson.webtv.net, mark Ransley being of bellicose mind posted:

That matter has been discussed at length with particular attention paid to hot wire air mass sensors.

Reply to
Philip ®

thanks for your complete assawnser. its worth Zero. ass.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Oh they do not, its between 120-150, less than half of your exaggerated figure!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

LOL, Philip, did someone piss in his Wheaties® this morning? :-D

Reply to
MDT Tech®

No mdt you pissed in your own

Reply to
mark Ransley

Ransley's response is what one would expect from a person who is used to being given everything and then one day.... is told to go find something for himself. I pulled a "Huw" and a "MikeHunt" on him. LOL

Reply to
Philip ®

Wow, that was quick!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Dogs have "that" kind of bladder control. ;-)

Reply to
Philip ®

depends what country you are in!

Reply to