Antifreeze Help Needed

Hello all, I will soon have my radiator flushed on my 90 Camry DX with the

3S-FE engine and I need information on which antifreeze brand I should purchase from either a Walmart, Sams, Autozone, Oreilly's, Pepboys or any other auto parts place. Currently I am using Prestone Antifreeze and I am wondering if I should change to a different brand/type or not. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Savalas

--
"If we do not maintain Justice, Justice will not maintain us."
-Francis Bacon

Sheesh -- it doesn't really matter just get anti freeze. How much difference can there be -- it's just 95% water anyway MB

Reply to
Artfulcodger

Uh, no. YOU'RE almost all water, and a few percent off in the "impurities" makes a major difference.

There are at least three basic formulations, and quality variations therein. If the original coolant was red (OEM Toyota) replace it with that. If it was the more typical green, it's hard to go wrong with Prestone. Unless you have pets or children likely to lick the floor under your car, forego the "less toxic" kind.

Ideally, you should dilite it with distilled water. Why add minerals to a system already containing to many?

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

The long life red toyota coolant is what you should be using in your camry..

Reply to
ROBMURR

Why? What makes the Toyota manufactured high priced stuff any better than Prestone?

Reply to
Greg B

Well my Toyota master mechanic has worked on many thousands of Toyotas and other cars and usually the ones with the green prestone have the most gunked up radiators and the fluid is usually a nice brown rust color he says. My own experience with US cars and prestone bears that out also.. With the red stuff it does not corrode and stays clean without gunking the radiator.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I have a new reman 3S-FE in my Celica with a new Modine radiator, and I use a 25% glycol - 75% distilled water mix, along with 3/4 pint of Redline's Water Wetter. My glycol is Prestone brand, but I don't think brand really matters a lot. 25% glycol is plenty freeze protection for my area at -12 below, and it seems to run a LOT cooler than a 50-50 mix. Distilled water means less minerals in the system and I am even considering an zinc anode radiator cap.

With that formula, I can have the A/C on full blast on a 90 degree day, and even taking steep hills in fourth gear the temp gauge hardly moves up to mid scale.

Rem

Reply to
Remnant

use

and

mid

the

any

am

Reply to
Steve G

The whole thing sounds a lot like the ads on the water-wetter display at your local auto store..............

Z> With that formula, I can have the A/C on full blast on a 90 degree day, Zand Z> even taking steep hills in fourth gear the temp gauge hardly moves up to Zmid Z> scale. Z>

Z> Rem Z>

Z> > Savalas Z> >

Z> > -- Z> > "If we do not maintain Justice, Justice will not maintain us." Z> > -Francis Bacon Z> >

Z Z

Reply to
Al