Any fix for clearcoat starting to fail?

Its a 1988 Camry wagon, dark blue. ITs probably been parked outside a lot before I got it, and I have no place to park it out of the sun. The finish still looks good overall, but there is one area of maybe 2 sq ft in the center of the roof that is starting to turn milky white, the seal coat is failing. I will probably only have this car for about

18 months, but would like to do something short of a complete repaint to preserve the finish. AM going to get a cover for it. I was wondering if I could perhaps restore the milky area by sanding off all the seal coat, but not the base coat, then spray gloss sealer on. I am not sure if I would end up with a match, or if the retouched area would stand out like a sore thumb. I.E., can't be sure that the base coat underneath, once exposed by sanding, would be unaffected or be a slightly dofferent shade. But such a an old car...it doesn't have to be perfect.

I have an air compressor and automotive paint sprayer already would just have to buy the paints/sealer.

Also, is the finish polyurethane, and do I need to ask for some particular type/brand of seal coat?

If I just applied that scotch-guard protective film over the roof while it doesn't look too terribly bad, would this stop the milkiness/bad seal coat from spreading? I guess it is the UV from the sun doing this, and it blocks UV. Thanks Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo