Any hose experts?

I posted this on another group before I noticed that that group seems devoted to off-topic political rants having nothing to do with the supposed "auto" subject matter of the group...

So... I tore a small hose on my '87 Corolla. Anyone know WHAT this hose is so I don't sound like a total idiot when I hit the NAPA parts counter?

It is one of two hoses that come from the valve cover. One of the hoses is the PCV hose. But, I tore the other hose on the cover. The hose that is ripped is located about two inches or so from the PCV hose and this ripped hose runs from the cover into the air cleaner housing.....Any ideas? My Chiltons doesn't address it as far as I can see.

Reply to
timbirr

LOL! Wonder where he's been?! ;)

Probably just a vaccum hose. Bring a piece with you when you go to CarQuest (sorry, used to work there...can't asy the "N" word!) and show it to him. He'll know what it is (type of hose, anyway)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Took it to NAPA, they were no help, but then walked two blocks to the local Car Quest where the counterman tried like heck to find a solution....but no luck. We both agreed with such a short piece of hose that anything without a preformed "bend" would pinch off and do no good whatsoever.

Finally, he pointed toward the local toyo dealer, where the three-inch piece was $10.45 and called an intake hose... and hopefully will be in next-day's freight delivery....

Reply to
timbirr

Yeah, that's about right...

Take a look at this:

The hose marked #12263 is about 2.5 feet long and about 3/4" diameter. I tried a piece of heater hose, but it pinched. Rather than take a chance, I called Toyota...

$35. I found one at a dealer in my state for $26...and $5 EACH for the clamps!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sounds like a typical PCV system fresh air intake hose to help purge the crankcase (through the PCV valve).

Replaced PCV hose with a $1 NAPA (Gates EVAP hose by the foot) hose on the Camry. The intake one will cost me about $1 if comes to it. But $10.45 for yours? Ouch.

Reply to
johngdole

=== That hose is part of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. The hose with the PCV valve in it allows crankcase blow by fumes to be drawn into the throttle body and burned (recycled). The "intake" hose provides fresh filtered air from the air intake. The nice part (no pun intended) about the Toyota hose is that it will have the correct shape and fit exactly. Plus they are well made. If your 1987 was original it lasted 20 years. Sometimes, they last longer!

Reply to
Daniel