Anyone having trouble with interior dome light ('99 Camry XLE) not turning off when door closed?

Twice in the last 6 weeks I've found my battery drained and the culpret was the interior dome light. I have it in the auto (door) position so it comes on when the doors open. But it seems to sometimes not turn the light off after the door is closed, and then runs the battery flat. This morning the battery was flat, and I boosted the car easily. Then I switched the dome to off, and back to auto (door) and opened and closed the door several times, the first 3 or 4 times the light remained on, then it started going off when the door was closed.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem, and whether the switch is the problem, or possibly something else. Nedless to say I've turned the switch to the off position while I figure out what to do.

Thanks for your advise.

Norm

Reply to
Norm

==================== This is not a common problem. I'd be checking the door switches at the door jamb. Press each one in and then let it snap out quickly to see if that temporarily clears the condition. I really can't see how it oould have lost insulation inside the frame unless there are some other forces at work - like an accident, but would pull the rubber cover, unbolt the switch and examine the wire. It it touches ground the light will stay on.

Reply to
Daniel

~Norm wrote: ~>

~> I'm wondering if this is a common problem, and whether the switch is ~> the problem, or possibly something else. ~==================== ~This is not a common problem. ~I'd be checking the door switches at the door jamb. ~Press each one in and then let it snap out quickly to see if that ~temporarily clears the condition. ~I really can't see how it oould have lost insulation inside the frame ~unless there are some other forces at work - like an accident, but ~would pull the rubber cover, unbolt the switch and examine the wire. It ~it touches ground the light will stay on.

Thanks Daniel, it's a holiday in the great white north tomorrow, so I think I'll follow your recommendations and see what I can see.

Thanks again!

Norm

Reply to
Norm