auto gearbox questions.

have just had a quick read some of the info on cleaning the MAF sensor and some of it's symptoms, and one of the things mentioned was auto gearbox performance issues. I am thinking that this may be the cause of a couple of gearbox problem I have with a '98 V6 Camry, and I am wondering if anybody can confirm or deny whether this is the case

The gearbox performs o.k. but when running on the highway at say 80 to 90 K.P.H. (50 to 55 M.P.H.) on a light throttle, just on that point of closing the throttle, (this is a bit hard to describe as "you had to be there"!) the torque converter lockup "Hunts" it makes it a bit hard to sit behind that slower car smoothly. At any other speed it seems fine and on cruise control it seems fine

The other prob is that when it is cold, it takes a little while before it will change into top gear, sometimes a little extra throttle "coaxes" it into top but most times it wakes up after a couple of hundred metres and shifts fine for the rest of the trip. This only seems to occur from stone cold, the rest of the day it is fine. I believe there is a temp. sensor in the box and maybe it is just this that is a bit slow. Any comments. Thanks. Tim.

Reply to
T.J.& L.K. Dunster

It's normal for the electronically controlled transmission to avoid the overdrive when engine coolant temperature is low.

Dunno what you mean by lockup hunts. How long ago was the tranny serviced? Has the ATF fluid been changed, strainer replaced (not just cleaned with compressed air), transmission pan cleaned?

It may not be related, but that generation of Aisin transmissions have problems with sluggish line pressure affecting shifts in certain conditions. They added a booster pump later to try to solve the problem.

Reply to
johngdole

Servicing is all up to date. The A.T.F. has been changed and a service kit put through the box, all filters and fluids have been done to the book.

Dunno what you mean by lockup hunts. How long ago was the tranny

This problem has been with the car for a couple of years since I bought it and has not changed, it is still the same, so I assume that there is not a problem that is deteriorating. I have driven a couple of other V6 autos of about the same age and they don't seem to do this. It is not a major problem but is a little bit annoying and I thought I would ask the newsgroup for any ideas.

As for the temperature problem, thanks for that, I have nothing to worry about there then! Thanks for the help. Regards. Tim

Reply to
T.J. Dunster

Until the motor reaches 110f the overdrive wont engage, Check your fluid level hot to much fluid can cause shifting issues

Reply to
m Ransley