Auto painting

How much does it cost to have a 1993 Toyota Camry painted? I know it ranges according to what quality a person would like; however, I was wondering if I could get a ballpark figure. Which auto painting company would you recommend?

Annette

Reply to
Annette Kashiwabara

For a quality paint job from a reputable shop, it can cost a minimum of $2500 to as much as $4000.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

The Earl Schieb or MAACO $259 jobs are fine for keeping an old beater from rusting away if you do the 40+ hours of prep sanding - but to get a good paint job that won't plummit your cars resale value is going to be $1-2Gs assumming no body work needed. Real work is in all the prep work required (sanding, removing trim, special paint for plastic bumpers). Last I looked in excellent shape a 93 Camry was worth $4Gs.

Reply to
Wolfgang

My family owns a Maaco and I worked for my dad for 3 years. get the presidential paint service for like 199 that includes 2 hours of body work. if your liek the average person your not willing to pay for a paint job that is more than your cars value, especially when the difference in qualityis minimal. "Uh Oh, better get maaco"

Reply to
shatara

Not that a Maaco paint job would be innappropriate for an older car, I think the average(anal) person will be able to tell the difference in quality. I have seen what comes out of the discount shops, and while it may be cosmetically better than faded paint, it does not match OEM or custom paint shot standards. Does Maaco even use a Urethane base coat and clear coat method? I would think the materials alone cost more than $199. A gallon of a quality paint can run $125 easy.

I am not saying Maaco is a bad idea, I just tend to think there is a quality difference. If cost is an issue, then consider them. If you want a hard, deep gloss paint job that has near a mirror reflection, you may need to consider spending more money.

Story: I had a 95 Saturn that was repainted when it was 3 months old at a custom shop in Raleigh. They used the Dupont urethane to repaint it. It looked better than the factory paint job by far and many people complemented me on it. It was that noticable. I chose to get the same factory color (sandstone). The color was so rich and the clear was unbelievable. I thought I could dive into the paint.

Many good shops will offer a 5 year or even life time warranty on their paint jobs when they use the Urethane paints due to their durability. They resist fade and chips well. My 7 year old paint job looked almost like it was just painted.

Before someone paints your car, see their finished products. Tour several shops and look at many of their cars and then decide it they are good enough for you. They will let you tour their shop. Just ask.

Scot

Reply to
Scot