Avalon steering

Several months ago I posted a question here regarding my 2003 Avalon which seems to have a tendency to want to head for the left ditch too quickly when driving in the inside lane (lane sloped to the left for water runoff) of a multi-lane highway. The tendency is enough that constant right pressure on the wheel is required. However, it will track straight when on a perfectly flat lane and will ever so slightly and slowly drift right if in the far right lane (lane sloping to the right). Several persons replied that they had experienced the same thing.

Since the Avalon and the Camry as essentially the same car, does anyone know if the Avalon shares the same steering system as the Camry. If so, and if this is a design problem, then I would think anyone driving a Camry would experience the same.

Comments, suggestions, opinions, etc from anyone welcome.

Thanks.

George

Reply to
George Wilson

See Tramlining.

which

when

on

perfectly

know

if

Reply to
IceMan

It is not tramlining. See my other post in this newsgroup RE: Pull to the left. This may be a bigger problem than I thought, affecting more vehicles.

Steve

Reply to
Stevie Ray

In news:220220040919473593% snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, Stevie Ray being of bellicose mind posted:

Uh oh.... another story about bent Camry/Avalon in the works!

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

By the way Philip, I just had to replace my front tires on the 2001 Avalon with only 17k miles on them. They've been rotated a few times but apparently the car went out of alignment and quickly wore the inner treads of the front tires before I picked up on it. Haven't had to get a car aligned for over 20 years and I've owned 2 Fords, 2 Chryslers, 3 older Toyotas, and a Subaru during that time. Avalon apparently has a crappy front end just like most of the rest of the car.

Reply to
news.east.earthlink.net

In news:QHU_b.20602$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, news.east.earthlink.net being of bellicose mind posted:

FAR more likely is .... your car was set for excessive toe-OUT from the factory but you didn't pay attention to the early wear signs on the inner most tread. Tire rotation is a practice I've given up on with FWD. Leave 'em where they work until the fronts are close to the wear bars then, rotate fronts to back. Keep on driving. When the "new" fronts are near the wear bars, buy a new set of four. Once you get a wear pattern established, moving the tires around is not going to correct anything because on FWD ... all the rear tires do is keep the bumper off the ground.

Why so much toe-OUT on FWD cars? Because when you apply power, the wheels try to turn around the strut which creates toe-IN. But too much toe-OUT will result in inner tread wear. Have your toe-out set for no more than 1/16" toe-out. This ain't in the book ... but from personal experience.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Maybe if Toyota made a stiffer chasis they wouldn't have to compromise alignment. My 94 Chyrsler LHS and 99 300M wear tires evenly front and rear.

Reply to
Art

In news:bD3%b.21121$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, Art being of bellicose mind posted:

,

Lets TEST your knowledge. Please make the case for a connection between "stiffer chassis" and "wheel alignment." That should keep you busy for awhile.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Actually Philip everyone in the worlds knows (perhaps not you) that all things being equal, the car with a more rigid chasis handles better and that has got to be easier on the tires.

Reply to
Art

snip snip

Actually Art everyone here knows Philip is the ultimate authority (just ask him) and now you have started a flame war ;o) Mike

Reply to
Artfulcodger

Actually I was thinking of replacing all the bushings on my Avalon with 10 year old ones from a junk yard to see how much I could improve tire wear.

ask

Reply to
Art

In news:L88%b.21455$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, Art being of bellicose mind posted:

news:284_b.4754$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

(Art replies)

Art: You are trying to dodge my challenge. MAKE the connection between "wheel alignment" and "stiffer chassis." Your reply at the moment suggests you cannot make the connection. This is a simple question that you should be able to answer after reading a High School auto shop encyclopedia on suspension. (hint)

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Art and I have had go-rounds before. I like Art 'cuz he's long on emotions and short on comprehension. LOL

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

In news:Cda%b.20441$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net, Art being of bellicose mind posted:

Actually ... considering how really rare it is that lower control arm bushings fail on Toyota cars, there probably would be no change. ;-)

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Philip is showing off again. First one in his extended family to make it past Junior High. LOL!

Reply to
Art

In news:CRd%b.21832$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, Art being of bellicose mind posted:

Your Liberal-ness is coming out. As usual when caught short on facts, resort to personal shots. See Art ... you're SOOO predictable! LOL

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

BWHAHAHAHHHEEHHAHAHAHEHAHAHEHEHEAHHA......

it

Continue.... BWHAHAHAHAHAOOIOHOHOHOHOHOHOHAHHEHAHAHA......

Reply to
gue