Bad for A/T?

Questions on A/T.

In city driving I kinda like the feel when I put my gear in 4 or 3 instead of D, It doesn't seem to have an effect on my mpg, but will this be bad on my A/T?

When I'm on a red light I put in in N, will frequently shifting from D- N be bad?

When I need that extra power, I downshift from D to 4 or 3 depending on my speed, I don't go over the redline and put in on D as soon as I have that speed. Am I putting to much stress on my A/T??

I don't have the tiptronic and just the 5A/T. One thing I DON'T do is shifting from D to P or D to R while the car is still in motion.

Reply to
EdV

trade your camry for a 5 speed manual. you need one .

Reply to
Dave Dave

============= Shifting manually only duplicates the action that is normally done without driver input. If you think about how often the valve body shifts gears you realize shifting manually harms nothing, although with practice, you can often achieve the same effect with throttle pressure only. Main thing to watch for transmission life is the condition of the fluid and change more often if needed being sure to use the specified fluid.

Reply to
Daniel

============================ Thanks but I would prefer the 6spd A/T tiptronic ; )

Reply to
EdV

If your tranny has a replaceable strainer and do a lot of city driving then consider changing it out around 10-15K miles for the first time. Wipe the pan and clean the magnets. The older Aisin trannys could use it. But your 5spd may be different.

EdV wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Isnt the 6 speed the one so many are complaining about?

We were poised to buy a Camry, but the 6 speed AT caused me to reevaluate. Right now we are going for the Avalon which still has the 5 speed.

Reply to
<HLS

am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave Dave) wrote:

Reply to
EdV

The Avalon is supposedly based on a Lexus GS chassis as Toyota's way to introduce people to their higher end brand. The older version (based on an enlarged Camry), was known to be problematic, but the new one seems to have a number of quality concerns in many reviews. The base Avalon V6 competes well with the Camry XLE on price. But Toyota really should work to improve the quality of recent years.

"Toyota introduced the redesigned Avalon in 2005, and ever since it has been beset with problems. For the Avalon, the Japanese automaker has provided service bulletins, which alerts dealers to problems, on bad U-joint welds, faulty catalytic converters and a leak in the oil supply line for variable valve timing. There also have been recalls to correct problems with air bags and the steering column on some Avalons."

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Reply to
johngdole