Battery Discharge light is on

The Battery Discharge warning light is on (under the speedometer on the dash). I did finally end up with a dead battery after a while, which I am recharging nightly with my recharger.

My question is: Does this mean I need:

  1. a new battery?,
  2. or a new alternator?,
  3. or maybe both at this point?

Thanks for the input!

Reply to
DRH9034

Generally, it's the alternator but on occasion the battery may have suffered a heart attack form the heavy discharge. Fully charge the battery and have it tested. If its about 5 years old or more; id go ahead and replace it.

Reply to
Steve H

Over 140,000 miles on the alternator? If so, replace the brushes. Apx. $20 dealer item. ~~ RE: Battery, get a temperature compensated hydrometer to check the state of charge for individual cells to assess overall condition. ~~~~~~ If you see white crusty stuff on the grids, it's probably toast. batterystuff.com sells a battery equalizer fluid with cadmium which seems to extend battery life. May want to consider adding it to your next battery.

More general battery information:

Daniel