battery failure or starter failure

Hey All,

My 1990 camry has been starting sluggishly lately. It ran fine when started, but it's been turning over slower and slower lately. I'm assuming it's the battery or starter. However all the lights were working and power seemed ok. Is it possible the battery has enough juice for lights, but not for starting the car or is it more plausible that it's the starter. Is it easy to change the starter? THanks for any help.

Reply to
ED EDIT68

get your battery load tested

Reply to
mark Ransley

It's entirely likely the batt can't supply the 100s of amps for full starting speed, but the only way to find out is to put a voltmeter (multimeter on volts range that will accomodate 12volts or more) across the battery while the car is cranked. If it drops below 9 volts, it's tired.

If the starter was faulty the battery volts would stay around 10 volts or higher. These starters have ballbearings so 'poleing' is not likely, but brush wear or armature commutator faults can happen..

Jason

Reply to
Jason James