battery lifetime?

I put a new battery in my 95 Camry at Wal-mart in July 2000. The brand is EverLast. Now it is over 3 years and half. I am not quite sure if it is time to change it again. Before the battery is dying, what kind of sign can I feel when driving? Should I change it to a new one now before I can't get my car started? So far the car runs fine.

Reply to
kk

time

my

There are currently 3 different models of Everlast. So it depends on which one you bought. If you bought the most expensive one, I would just check the water level (use distilled water only) and keep it.

Reply to
Mark A

is

get

the

Reply to
kk

I am not quite sure if it is time

Search the Internet for "temperature compensated hydrometer" or just buy the cheap version with floating colored plastic pieces. Be really careful with the battery electrolyte (sulfuric acid). You should be able to measure the state of charge of each cell by reading the specific gravity on the hydrometer (how much acid is in solution versus absorbed by the battery plates). Try recharging the battery to bring up the reading if low. If one cell is lower than the others, or they cannot be brought up to good condition after charging, go ahead and replace the battery.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Any mechanic can perform a load test on it to see if it is still healthy. Or you can buy the tester yourself for about $30. Keep the terminals clean, water topped up and that is all you can do. I have been getting 100,000 miles from my batteries.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Having replaced my battery about 3 months ago - my experience with what happens when the damned thing dies is rather fresh. It decided to die at the servo where I was filling up. I'll count my blessings for that, since I was able to buy a new one and be on my way.

Anyways, pretty sure signs that something is wrong with the battery are:

1). dimmer lights when driving. 2). longer times to start up - by that I mean how long you have to spin the engine until it starts on itself. 3). Once it's dead, it won't recharge and you may not be able to jumpstart your car with the battery in the circuit as it may well act like a short-circuit, or something very close to it.

My Camry is a CSI, '99 model, so the noises it made with the battery dead may not be the same with yours, but I can tell you that the sound was pretty much the sound of a coffee-grinder under the bonnet. And no start what-so-ever.

What else can I say? Ah, I think the old battery was the original one delivered with the car. That means from 1999 to 2003, that's a fair way. Probably what contributed to its death was that I did not check to see if it had enough water in the cells which probably might've helped. Once declared dead, I popped the caps and there was a rather strong smell of sulphur coming out of it (which if I recall well, it's not a terribly good thing)

In the end - if you have doubts about the battery, take to someone who has a battery tester and put it to the test. Probably it won't cost you too much - if at all, and you'll have the peace of mind for a while that your battery's good. Oh, and make sure you don't let the acid concentrate in the cells, put some *distilled water* in any cell that seems to have the liquid under the normal level. RTFM for the battery to see where's the level and how much you have to fill it with water. And remember - that's really nasty acid in there, do not overfill it.

B.

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe.  Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion.  I watched C-beams glitter in the dark

I usually get my batteries at Auto-zone, 40 bucks for a decent one. They keep records on their computer and so far no hassles about getting credit if the battery dies before the 5 years or whatever. Also a lot easier then carrying a battery through a Wal-mart store and trying to find a part time high school kid that always seems to be the one who is working automotive learn what a warranty is, let alone how to figure one. I think my 98 Toyota still has the original battery and it made it through the winter OK. I've had batteries fail slowly they keep losing power and finally won't recharge enough to start the car, and I've had them fail quickly, working fine and then all of a sudden just crap out when I go to start the car. I use a self regulating battery maintainer on the cars or pickup if it is going to sit for a while (two weeks or more) and I won't be driving it. That helps a lot to keep them lasting longer. A car battery is not made to be deep cycled, run completely down and then charged, they last longest when the car starts easy and needs little recharging to bring it back up to full capacity. How long will a cheap 40 dollar battery last? I'd say 4 to

6 years, more likely 4. About 10 bucks a year is what I'd say it costs to keep a battery in a car.

kk wrote:

Reply to
ZZonka Tonka

Autozone will check your battery for free. Should you need a new one,they have some of the best deals.I had very good service on the one I purchased there. Good Luck.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN