Battery light is on after engine washed

I had my car to an auto shop and had my engine washed by a Mechanic two days ago. It is fine until this morning while I was driving the battery light is on. It's not happened before and I am sure it's not the battery because I had the battery changed a couple months ago. Do you know what's wrong with it? And also, after the engine washed the sound of the engine seems louder, is it normal? My car is the Toyota Camry 93. Any comments or hints would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Kelly

Reply to
Nost

Maybe fan belt fell off and hitting something.

Reply to
Art

Its difficult to imagine why the car sounds louder after the visit to the mechy,...but the alternator fail-light seemsalso to be unrelated to the visit. Washing engines with water (rinsing off the degreaser) can cause temporary alternator probs while its brush-assembly and slip-rings dry out, if water got onto the alt,...and should showup straight-away,....so it sounds like the alternator was due to fail.

The alt-belt maybe slipping,..but in any case, take it back and complain. They should do an investigation free. If its just the alternator-brush-set and or regulator,..the fix should cost around $30-60 provided they dont try a full recon on the thing.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thank you all for the input. It's the alternator. I brought my car back to the auto shop and after the Mechanic checked, he told me that the problem was he did not let it dry after washed and that cause the alternator stop running so it couldn't generating electrictiy to the battery. Now the problem is either I have the alternator repair or replace a brand new one. Since my car is working fine before the engine washed, the Mechanic should responsible for the repair and I shouldn't be charge for it, am I right ?

Thanks, Kelly

Reply to
Nost

If it is the original alternator it was going to go one of these days. I would negotiate a deal with him. If you were dealing with an insurance company they would tell you it was depreciated down to almost nothing. I suppose if he can find a working one from a 93 at a cheap price at a salvage yard he should buy and put it in for free.

the

out,

complain.

alternator-brush-set