Best oil filter for Camry

Here's a gross oversimplification and generalization of the study: He cut open every oil filter he could buy from an aftermarket parts store and compared what he found inside. Can be useful, but . . . Toyota filters were not included in the sample group. Frankly, I've never been so concerned as to ruin a filter by cutting it open - but wouldn't be hard to do - just watch out for metal cuts - one author of a similar study found out by slashing open his hand along with the filter. Have seen Toyotas racking up 300,000 miles and more on stock oil filters, so that was good enough for me.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Daniel, I agree. The ol Prizm is STILL running just fine with

310,000 miles and a new owner. I used whatever oil filter was on sale. I did discover a quality variance in anti-drainback valves and settled on AC, Purolator, and Toyota filters. Choice of oil (Mobil1) and service intervals of 4-5k miles are more important than filters. Remember ... air cooled VW's didn't have a paper filter at all!
--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

"We?" Gotta mouse in your pocket? Perhaps the voices in your head have names? Are "we" legion? ;-)

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

I agree about the rod-bearing rattle some cars make as their oil-pressure struggles to get up. One car which my brother had from new,..a '68 Renault R10, always had this problem, but didnt seem to suffer from any consequences over the 10 yrs he had it.

OTOH,.. a Passat I pulled down had many parallel bright lines at 90 deg across its bigend shells which must have been due to running with no oil-film during start-up.

The Cleveland has its filter angled down from horizontal, but still makes some big-end knocks for a second on morning start-ups.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Off topic response:

yep, had a 1967 VW "Type 1" (Beetle), just two paper gaskets to re seal the metal mesh screen and new washers for the bolts. When I used to do that, I remember thinking it couldn't be any cheaper. There was no paper air filter either - oil bath. but as I remember it was "change the oil and adjust the valves" (air cooled - one valve gets too tight and it's the beginning of an overheating cycle leading to a engine rebuild), so the Camry with valves that seldom go out ot adjustment, has it all over the VW there. Plus you can get a Camry with air conditioning. Plus you can get a Camry with a real automatic transmission. Plus, a Camry can go well over 100,000 miles on an engine. But I agree with your basic point - an engine can run a long time even with an oil filter effectiveness measured in millimeters rather than microns. :-)

Daniel M. Dreifus

Plus, you can get a Camry with *heat!*

HachiRoku

Cleveland? As in Ford? LOL Push rod Ford V8's have always rattled their rods on cold start. LOL (Will that bring MikeHunt out of the shadows?).

Nice to see that on my '03 Corolla that the filter is now vertically mounted, threaded end up! Sad the Prizm's 4A-FE was almost horizontal.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

When I was young (a long time ago :-] ) my father had a gadget on his hi-pro Jeep that was designed to limit wear at start-up. It consisted of a canister with a diaphragm in the middle, spring on one side in dead end chamber, the other side of the diaphragm had a threaded opening with a solenoid mounted. An adapter is mounted to the oil filter plate on the engine with a line plumbed to the canister. The theory was that when you hit the starter the solenoid released the oil reserve under pressure which charged the oil galleries providing oil until the pressure system took over. The solenoid had an internal bypass that allowed oil to charge the canister while the engine was running. Seemed like a good idea, but that was the only device like that I've ever seen.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee

Sounds like the days of Willy-Knight or possibly Willys-Jeep. LOL There are such pre-oilers in existance today. The last one I saw was for a marine diesel application. Come to think of it, I saw an advertisement for just such a device to fit the Toyota Prius. Obviously, this was an aftermarket device whose actual necessity is questionable.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to