Brake & Differential fluid

Have a 2003 Camry LE 4 cylinders. Just did the 30K service (in about 3 hours) which includes:

- changed oil and filter

- changed air and cabin filters

- drained/filled coolant

- drained/filled tranny fluid

- rotated tires

I got the tranny fluid and the coolant from the dealer. All other parts are aftermarket parts.

I thought to change the brake fluid as well. Should I get the brake fluid from the dealer, or it doesn't matter? What brake fluid should I use?

Is there a separate differential fluid? Does it take the same tranny fluid? where are the drain and fill plugs? Should I change the fluid now, or I could wait until, say,

60K miles?

Thnx tcl

Reply to
tcl

The coolant you should get from the dealer. The ones on the market are geared toward domestic cars. Mixing different coolants can cause problems.

As far as brake fluid goes, Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 is a good choice, their Pyroil (?) is the cheaper DOT 3 fluid. Many like the Castrol LMA (do use the proper DOT rating).

I would change out the fluid and filter/screen at 15K miles.

Reply to
johngdole

You don't need brake fluid from the dealer - just make sure you get the right type [which will be listed in your owner's/repair manual].

There was a time when Toys had a separate differential reservoir for the automatics, but I don't think that's the case anymore. What kind of fluid depends on whether it's auto or manual.

Reply to
Hopkins