Brake Flush

Have a 2003 Corolla automatic - 42,000 miles - now service advisor wants to flush brake lines $67.00 + fluid + taxes - I already flushed rad and tranny per maintenance recommendations but see nothing in maintenance instructions about flushing brake lines - after spending over $100 with this dealer for a rusty gas cap I wonder if this is a come on or necessary preventative maintenance? Any input appreciated. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I'm probably not the one to ask, but having driven over 25 cars for over 60 years, and never once draining and replenishing brake fluid without any problems, I'd say forget it, especially with your vehicle's age and low mileage. I can't understand how a rusty gas cap (in a four year old car?) can cost someone $100 though. My thought is that vehicles are now built so trouble free that dealers have to make up the shortfall in their service depts by doing totally unnecessary work. (Sort of like dentists whose occupation is endangered by the lack of cavities due to flouridation have to go into other areas like bleaching and bonding and such.) sorry, if there are dentists in the newsgroup.....

Reply to
mack

Reply to
BigJim

Brake lines are ALWAYS flushed after a brake service to ensure all the air is purged.

message

Some car makes are more prone to caliper corrosion than others. Honda calipers are notorious for freezing up if the brake fluid isn't flushed every 2 or 3 years. Toyota calipers are better but complete brake fluid replacement after 5 years or so is good preventative maintenance.

Fluids aren't forever. Replacing the power steering fluid isn't a bad idea, either.

Reply to
ACAR

You should change the brake fluid and flush the brake lines when the front brakes are replaced, which should be relatively soon if you've got

42,000 miles. It is strange that they don't recommend a brake fluid change, since it does accumulate moisture. If you do mostly freeway driving than the brakes may last 100,000 miles, in which case you may want to get a brake fluid change now.

Did this dealer also suggest the Bilstein R-2000 Wallet Flush? "

".

Reply to
SMS

If you have ABS, you should every two years. Those units are expensive.

Many companies, such as GM and Ford, use barrier hoses and do not recommend brake fluid flushes. But brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and the corrosion inhibitors get used up. I do it myself every year, for about $5-7 per quart of the excellent Castrol GT LMA (Low Moisture Activity) or Valvoline SynPower synthetic. But at $67+fluid

+taxes (probably comes out to $90-100) your mileage may vary.

Now you just have to make sure the lines are really flushed, and not the fluid in the reservoir sucked out and replenished!!

Reply to
johngdole

you don't flush the whole system, they are bled to get the air out. Then a few ounces of fluid are add to bring the level up.

Brake lines are ALWAYS flushed after a brake service to ensure all the air is purged.

Some car makes are more prone to caliper corrosion than others. Honda calipers are notorious for freezing up if the brake fluid isn't flushed every 2 or 3 years. Toyota calipers are better but complete brake fluid replacement after 5 years or so is good preventative maintenance.

Fluids aren't forever. Replacing the power steering fluid isn't a bad idea, either.

Reply to
BigJim

its not a bad idea but the price is, dealers always overcharge.

Reply to
ransley