brakes need total replacement 96 camry 4 cyl

my brakes are spongy, i believe i need to replace all of them in. anyone have any idea if this is even worth it? my car has a host of other problems and it is slowly dying (check engine light, though I believe it is the O2 sensor, the AC is very sketchy when it comes to actually working, my car lurches when i accelerate, not to mention the hissing noise it now makes when it's in drive). i dont know if i should just get a new one...the problem is im a college student and funds for a new car are...well non existent.

Reply to
zahidism

=============== Takes a lot to kill a Camry. Bleed the brakes. (mushy can be air in the lines) Change the O2 sensor. ( if that is what the engine code indicates) Recharge the A/C. (if low - that could be your problem - if leaking, repair) Clean the throttle body. (that should fix the sticking throttle - you can do this yourself for $2 in emission control safe carburetor cleaner and a rag after removing one hose clamp), Check for vacuum leaks. ( if you hear hissing, shouldn't be too hard to locate- could just be a vacuum heater control door under the dash)

Reply to
Daniel

Goto Autozone and they'll pull the OBD-II codes from the computer for free. Let us know what they are. The check engine light could also be other things, like spark plug misfires, etc.

Spongy brakes - get the brake hydraulic lines flushed. Any proper new brake fluid will be better and a quart of Valvoline SynTech or Castrol GT LMA even better. They are both Low Moisture Activity and DOT 3/4 compatible.

Has the timing belt, water pump, belts, seals, etc been changed? What's the maintenance like on the car?

It won't hurt to check used car prices. A 96 is about $3-4K? Add the the cost of maintenance and make the call. An old car is an old car. I'll get rid of mine before it needs a new transmission. ;)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole