broken suspension spring?

I was making a right turn in my '96 Camry (168k miles) when I heard a metallic popping sound, like a spring had broken. Not much change in driveability, though it surprised me a lot.

Would this be the suspension spring?

How critical is this to be fixed, from a safety standpoint? Looking at a big rainstorm tomorrow... wondering if I have to go to the mechanic immediately or what. Never messed with the suspension system before.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

If it was a clicking noise, it's most likely a CV joint. My car does this if I do sharp left turns. I should probably replace it but I'm cheap and it only does it on one particular turn when I drive home. I try to take that turn at the widest radius possible.

To test this, try cranking your steering sharply to the right and see if this comes up again. You should also visually inspect the CV boots on the front for rips and leaks. I'll bet you've got that occurring.

Reply to
dsi1

Probably time for me to check the CV joints too but this definitely sounded like broken metal - like a Sproing! sound. I thought I ran over something, but there was nothing in the rear-view mirror... shouldn't be a steering rack issue since I changed the PS fluid a couple years back...

Before this I got a squealy-sound that went away when I pressed the brake pedal. One of these days have to get around to jacking up the car and taking a peek... not this time though with the storm coming...

Michael

Reply to
Michael