Bumper repair Info?

Hi,

Recently I backed my recently repaired Camry bumper into a stone wall and there is a 10 inch by 3 inch area damaged. No dents, just scratch damage to recently repaired area. I sanded the area with a sanding block, where the damage occured and it shows black and gray spots and some original paint and the area is generally smooth. I purchased some filler, a can of primer and car paint from a local tire place.

Is this all I need? do I need more tools or/and do I have to apply filler, or can I spray primer and then paint. I have a plastic filler spreader to apply filler if needed. Is this adequate?

I now realize that this problem will reoccur and I do not want to spend $350.00 again. Step by step instruction would be appreciated.

Camry

Reply to
bigrog98

is a 10 inch by 3 inch area damaged. No dents, just scratch damage to recently repaired area.

You should ask other places too. Or just google for articles on this. I doubt there is anything special about Toyota bumpers that means you have to only read about Toyota repairs or ask in Toyotal forums. (unless someone says I'm wrong.)

black and gray spots and some original paint and the area is generally smooth.

Spray paint, right? It's impossible to do a good job with brush-on.

Is the paint meant for rubber, or vinyl, or whatever these bumper covers are?

Is it Duplicolor paint or just generic paint that's approximately the right color? Duplicolor might make paint that matches bumper colors

-- I don't recall -- but for that you do have to include the make and year of the car, and look in the booklet that hangs near the paint. They don't have all colors but the rest are available via the web. . There are many colors of white and several colors of black.

There is one company that makes body paint to order, based on the color code of your fenders. I don't recall what they say about bumper covers. And I forget the companies name, though I have it in my bookmarks, if anyone wants it.

I think they sell 6oz can's of spray paint and for cars wtih cleear cut they insst you buy a can of clear coat, at $40 dollars a can = 80 dollars. But check on bumpers.

After you use an aerosol can, turn it upside down and spray until no paint comes out. That will keep the sprayer from clogging so you can use the rest later.

It depends on how big the dips and holes are. Will they be noticeable, annoying, if you don't. Is the filler apprropiate for a rubber bumper cover?

That's probably enough, but it will probably take practice to do a good job. I'd practice on a weathered 2x4, or maybe on the car itself, but I'd be prepared to remove it all and start over.

again.

Good point.

If you get your car washed between now and the repair, don't let it get waxed. (Although I went to a car wash exctly because I was going to point the scratches a 30 minutes later, and I noticed too late that the was light was on. I compllained, though it was too late to do do anything, because it would take weeks for the wax to wear off, and the manager said, Nah, the wax isn't that good . And indeed, I painted the car 30 minutes later, and it came out great. This was Duplicolor paint. I don't know if every color is that good, but the dark green paint went on a car that was 10 years old, parked outside, and I figured the paint mght have faded. But it matched perfectly and I couldn't see where I had painted even 3 seconds after I sprayed it on. Remember, I only did scratches, but I never saw where part of the car was repainted and part wasn't. This was a '67 Pontiac Caltalina Conv. in Mariner Turquoise, painted iln 1977.

I'd look at

I don't think you need everything they sell, but the filler primer might matter.... Well t hat's for the car, not the bumper, so maybe not

For use on thermoplastic and polyurethane bumpers

Ane when most webpages say Where to Buy, they mean where are they selling some of the products we make. I've only seen one webpage that says who sells what, and iirc it turned out to be wrong.

Ideal for use on all OEM paint surfaces, So maybe that includes bumpers Sure sounds that way. (BTW, you should stock up before they start selling your color. I bought a 2000 a year ago, and even though the car is white, they .don't sell my white anymore and they don't claim any other white is a substitute.

Local car paint companies will mix paint to order, but a) they are expensive. I forget what I learned about mixing small quatitites. But the place I talked to would not put the paint in a spray can, Maybe you can thin it and use a universal spray device, like the tube that uses a baby-food size jar in the bottom. Be sure to tell them you are going to let the paint dry by itself. That paint is different from what body shops use, because they have a a hot room with heat lamps to dry the paint. Maybe you could do that too.

is the place that will make spray paint to order. , They also have good instructional pages. I'd read t hem all.

Get a spray can trigger, too, if not from this place from the hardware store. You hve to get used to that too, but after you do, it's easier to do a good job. Now that some aerosol buttons have gotten bigger, some triggers won't work with those cans.

I don't kow if you want this or not,

and maybe you should look at what all Bondo has on their webpage.

Reply to
micky

I checked the web for how to do it videos and did a somewhat satisfactory repair job. Only problem the paint code on my car does not match the bumper. It is more shinney. Why?

Rog

Reply to
bigrog98

I checked the web for how to do it videos and did a somewhat satisfactory repair job. Only problem the paint code on my car does not match the bumper. It is more shinney. Why? I finally repaired scratches on bumber, after seeing how to do it instructions on web. One problem. The paint spray which was copied from the car code does not match. The new paint appears more shiny.

What do I do next except for having a pro do it?

Reply to
bigrog98