Burnt out brake light. 97 camry XLE

Friday I noticed the taillight burnt lamp was on in the lower left corner of the gauge cluster. My center brake lamp (the one inside the car on the rear deck) was burnt out.

After spending a few minutes figuring out how to pop the thing out, (very easy once you know how), I replaced it with a smaller type bulb that I use for a license plate light. The base of both lights are identical.

Dash light was still coming on.

I figure there has gotta be a way that a sensor checks current flow, or total resistance in this line to make this dash light come on.

I drove to the nearest Canadian Tire. The old bulb (which must be the original one says that the brand name is a Stanley 18W bulb. At Crappy Tire they had an identical size bulb, but no watt rating indicated on it. grrrr....

I bought the bulbs anyway to give it a try, and the dash light is still on.

I checked, double checked, and triple checked all other bulbs for functionality.

signal lights front and rear, brake lights, backup lights, headlights (high and low beam), park lights. Even the bulb inside the trunk works.

Anyone living or have lived this problem? Do you actually have to get a bulb at the dealer?

Have a good day!!

JP

Reply to
zaner

My deck brake light also burnt out (98 XLE). I got a quote for a replacement bulb from a dealer for about $4, but I found a Sylvania long life bulb at an auto parts store that I bought instead (only comes in a 2 pack for about $5). The parts store also had a generic bulb for about $1.50. All prices in USD.

At first, I had a problem with the warning light coming back on even when the bulb worked, because the bulb was not securely in the socket. You have to push and twist the bulb into the socket to get a secure connection. Try to keep your hands from touching the bulb by using a tissue, because the natural oils on your hands can decrease the life of the bulb.

Reply to
Mark A

Why not just use the brake lamp from the dealer? For a few dollars, you know you're getting the right part. The lamp failure sensor is very sensitive. Have heard that different brand bulbs in the left and right main brake lights could set it off, for example. The high mounted brake lamp is low voltage. Oils from your hand should make no difference. Halogen headlamp bulbs, however, operating at high temperature are different, though. If the correct high mounted brake lamp doesn't correct the problem, could be the wiring harness at the trunk hinge - often those wires can flex and some strands break. The '94 may be different than the '97 due to more brake lamps on the movable portion of the trunk, but I wound up going through a fairly lengthy process yesterday afternoon trying to permanently correct the condition. Had repaired the broken wire at that trunk hinge couple years ago, then the rear warning light reappeared. After removing the electrical tape from my first repair, I discovered three (3) severed wires. Ended up using an upholstery(?) removal tool to pry out the plastic fasteners for the trunk liner, and splicing in coiled sections of wire (wrapped a few times around a 1/2" ratchet handle) for each of five (5) wires. Initially I only did the three broken wires, but then saw that just put all the load on the remaining two. One of those was slightly thinner than the other and already showing signs of fatigue again. Used a soldering gun and heat shrink tubing from Radio Shack for each of the ten soldered wire connections. Then wrapped short lengths of wire at judicious locations along the wire sheathing I had to open for access, twisting the ends to secure the wiring looms. Hopefully, this will now be a durable solution. The coiled sections now flex, with the original wiring and new soldered connections held stable, rather than all the flexing focused on a single spot.

Reply to
Daniel

fixed the problem by getting right bulb at an auto parts store. Phillips Model 921 bulb worked great. Took the Phillips bulb out, and put the Crappy Tire bulb back in and the dash warning came back up.

Again Phillips Model 921 bulb, bought in pack of 2 for $3.50. Works great. I guess that sensor is pretty sensitive.

JP

Reply to
zaner