Buzzing at top of overdrive

My Camry makes a loud buzzing noise at the top of the overdrive gear (when I'm driving at highway speed, and try to accelerate). If I downshift, making the engine turn faster, the buzzing stops. My friend thinks it sounds like a belt is slipping.

Any idea what the problem is?

I had the alternator replaced a few months ago, and I sometimes think I see the dashboard lights flickering when the car is idling. Could this be related? How can I tell if the alternator belt is loose, and how do I adjust it?

-Apr

Reply to
AllstonParkingRefugee

Mine did that for a long time, it doesn't do it any more (just died away) but it now decelerates unevenly and occasionly "slips" a bit from takeoff, only in OD. Wife used to drive it so I don't know if symptoms co-existed. Lights might flicker if idle revs fall too low. It's probably not a loose belt, that would squeal when the motor accelerates. Just feel it or see what the manual says about tightness, there's a screw tightener with a locking screw on one of the alternator brackets.

Reply to
jg