Camera drive boots

I have a 95 Camera with 90,000 miles. The dealer says that I have cracked drive boot coverings. Does this mean that I must replace them. Can I safely post pne this repair?

Reply to
bob

You should do it soon. You will loose grease from them and get dirt in the bearings and you will have to replace the whole CV joint in addition to the boot.

Reply to
ROBMURR

If they are completely cracked through and grease is leaking out - DO the repair right now (may be too late - and new/rebuilt axel would be required). The boots are $35 pair but several hours of work to replace. Normally the outer ones go first but they are sold as a set so do them all since the axel has to be removed to do it. This is a job that can be done at other than a dealer - just make sure they don't use the quicklie split boots (unless the price is real low). The quick split boot is good for maybe 40k miles vice the 90k for normal. Both outer ones wen on my Camry - one at 80k and other about 100k. Be aware that there are several different boot types depending on country of manf and production date -- I bought 2 sets and returned the wrong ones. If they haven't been open to the elements for more than a week I prefer to keep the original axels (unless the have >200k on them) and reboot them - vice getting questionable rebuilt ones.

Reply to
Wolfgang