Camry 95 cutting out intermittently.

Hi,

I am in Australia. I have a '95 Camry 2.2 4Cyl Auto. I recently had the head gasket changed and since then it has started to cut out, without warning, whilst driving. It also does this whilst idling and doesn't seem to matter whether the car is hot or cold. After about half an hour the car starts again. It will then go for anywhere between 2 km (1 mile) to 40 or 50 km (20 to 25 miles) before cutting out again.

Any help would be beneficial.

Cheers, Brendan.

Reply to
BrendanLahey

Brendan,

Upside down lefty driving isnt reccommended.

Seriously ...

Sounds like a fuel, or elec related problem.

The fuel injection hadda come 'off' , lots of elec conns hadda be discon/con too .

When it cuts out ... did you try a spritz of fuel into the air cleaner to get it to , at least, cough ???

*If* it 'coughed', its fuel related .

*If* no 'cough' , next "try" is plug_gap spark. Have a buddy try a 'start', plug outta the head, and 'connected' plug held to head w/insul_handle screw driver ...

Gotta be either no fuel // no spark.

Ed

Reply to
0_Qed

See if you get spark when its dead, get a spark tester. Its a bulb in a pen like holder you just touch to a plug wire, if no spark check coil first, it could even be a loose wire which is likely with the other work done. If spark its fuel related again wires damaged , and fuel pump to start off with.

Reply to
m Ransley

was the head gasket changed by a shop?? did they machine the heads? I would do a compression test. Testing for fuel by putting fuel in an air cleaner would work if the car were carborated but this car isnt is it?? You should have alum heads if a shop did not do it or if the heads were not removed or replaced properly or machined it would have easily warped your heads. Start there and If you have out ruled these types of issues then go from there your car does h ave a computer so you should also beable to test it to find out the problem that way. Good luck

Reply to
selotkd

Did you solve your problem? I have a 95 that started this problem 2 days ago. I changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button. I changed the fuel filter also. The car runs fine for may 1 mile or 10 and then is stumbles and cuts off. It feels like bad gas but I no that isn't the case. Did you check your coil or ECM? I'm at wits end myself.

Reply to
twinsberry

Check for a clogged fuel filter.

Reply to
Stubby

sheer guess but this is my guess

intermitent stalling unrelated to engine temperature sounds like an electrical connection

take it back to the people who changed the head gasket

my guess is that in removing and replacing numerous electrical connectors something is not as secure as it should be

Reply to
Daniel