camry ac question

my Camry air conditioner cools just fine, but has a 'rattle' when it runs. not consistent, but most of the time.

is this the compressor failing? or possibly a bearing?

thanks

96 Camry 4 cyl 170000 miles
Reply to
stevie

My old Honda went through 2 blower fans. Same scenario.

Reply to
Stubby

just to clarify-the blower inside the car is fine.

My old Honda went through 2 blower fans. Same scenario.

Reply to
stevie

Check to make sure you have the proper amount of freon first. The noise may also be coming from the clutch or the compressor itself.

stevie wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

It may well be the compressor. The rotary compressors use a fairly eleaborate internal mechanism compared to older piston and crankshaft comps. They can and do get noisey and its not a good sign. Having said that, even new rotary compressors (Nippon Denso) make *some* regular pulsing noise, but not a rattle. Regular manintenence ensures lubrication is up to scratch. The lubricating oil circulates with the refridgerant and thus if you have a leak of refridgerant, you lose oil as well.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James