Camry air bag speed

Does anyone have any information on at what speed the airbag deploys ? I was in an accident last year,stopped at a light I was hit from behind and pushed into the car in front of me . The airbags in my car did not deploy as I really did not hit the car in front of me very hard. the driver is now suing . So I was wondering at what speed the collision has to be for the airbags to deploy. I have a 2003 camry

Thanks

Reply to
junglelandfan

Airbags deployment is not a function of vehicle speed, but rather acceleration. The sensors measure the rate at which the vehicle decelerates during an impact, and if the predetermined threshold is met, the airbags will deploy. Limiting airbag deployment to a set speed would be stupid, because you could certainly accelerate a vehicle in a rearward direction from a standstill hard enough to require the airbags to pop, and in that case you would have none. Likewise a vehicle traveling 70mph could be involved in a collision with a low enough deceleration so as to not need airbag deployment. Hope it makes sense.

Reply to
qslim

I've heard 30km/h...

Reply to