Camry: best spots for lifting?

Now that our '95 Camry is starting to need repairs and shop rates are getting rather exorbitant, I am thinking of doing my own work. Done lots of suspension/mechanical stuff on other vehicles in the past so this should be no different ..except for the electronics.

Anyway, I need to know where in heck to place my bottle jacks, and then the supporting jackstands. The manual makes mention of using along the underbody seam (at special locations) at the rocker panels, which makes sense if just using the car's special scissor jack and one wheel up at a time. But given the unibody type construction, I guess I've got to be careful here on any other locations.

Where does the average backyarder support the whole front or rear of this car ..safely?

Thanks, Jack.

Reply to
Jack

use the "sub-frame(s)" to lift the car and place the jack stands. In front, there is a sub frame member that is really solid going across in front of the oil and transmision pans. There is a small round protrusion in the center, and I lift with the hydraulic jack there, then place jack stands on either side. There is a tubular section that the jack stands can cradle securely. Next move the hydraulic jack to the rear. There is a similar sub frame member there with a round protrusion in the center. Place the hydraulic jack there.

12" length of 2x4 on each jack stand in back is helpful to spread the load at the jacking points on the side - otherwise you'll bend the sheet metal flange and break the spot welds.

CAUTION: Not sure I'd want to be using a bottle jack at all on this car. That little stubby lift point is an invitation for slippage and having the whole thing come crashing down. 2 ton (minimum) hydraulic floor jacks can be obtained quite reasonably today. (

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Lotsa thanks, Daniel. I've found this site to be a good no-BS group. Jack.

Reply to
Jack