Camry Coil Pack Replacement

Hi,

My Camry (2000, V4, 96K) jerks when idling at hot-engine, although does not stall but RPM cycles up and down. I took it to Toyota "authorised service centre" and they told me that there was an aftermarket Coil Pack that was bad. They took $100+ for diagnosis and were asking for $400+ for the Toyota part.

A quick check on Autozone tells me it is available for under $70.

Is there diagnosis correct? If yes then why there is no problem with the cold engine?

Can I change it myself? Do I really need to pay'em $400+ for the job?

They told me there are four of them and two will be replaced, when I inspected it appears to me that each Coil Pack serves two HT wires, am I correct?

Someone help pls!

TIA Samy

Reply to
samyonix

======================= Any other dealers you could use? Our local dealer has no charge for diagnosis.

======================= Genuine Toyota electrical parts are best. You can find price discounts for Toyota parts online. I suppose every dealer is different. The people at the parts counter used to be great. Now they seem to enjoy relaying disappointing information, and are misinformed on just about everything. The parts Manager, while rarely at the counter, has agreed to match the online prices, and actually get the order right the first time, so that has worked out well. I just explained to him one morning, that I'd been buying quite a few parts online because the pricing was so much better. He seemed surprised, and said some people were buying parts from them and reselling for profit on eBay, that the price level depends on volume, and check with him next time.

Reply to
Daniel

Try measuring the resistance of the coil packs. The secondary coil resistance should be

9.7-16.7 Kohms. That's between the two spark wire sockets. Dealer likes to replace things non-Toyota. But just having an aftermarket coil doesn't make it bad. Many people may premiums for MSD ignition systems.

Yes, the car has a waste spark system and each coil fires two plugs -- IMO an inferior design that halves the service life of spark plugs.

Access to the coils may be a problem and you may have to remove things in the way (like the throttle body). But if you are mechanically inclined should be no problem. It's good to have a Haynes manual and refer to it while you work. At least look it up in your local auto parts store and decide if you want to change it yourself. But $400 is steep.

If you must have a Toyota part and don't want to part with $400, check your local junk yard prices. For example, would you try it if one costs $10?

If the dealer is sure it's not "worn spark plugs or wires, vacuum leaks, uneven or low compression, or other faults in the engine management system" (Haynes), then it's probably the coil. Having heard about lousy dealer techs on many occasions I'll believe it only if a replacement coil solves the problem.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Coils can change depending on temp or moisture content, replace it, toys are best but dealersa rip off, so DIY.

Reply to
m Ransley