Camry Floor Jack Best Way?

What is the best way to jack up a V6 Camry with a floor jack. I found that when you put it under the pinch welds at the designated locations, the metal bends. The manual states to only use those locations. I am changing my timing belt and want to find an alternate location to raise the vehicle. has anyone tried lifting it from the engine subframe? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Rob Dean

I'd try using a thick piece of rubber as a cushion, or barring that, a piece of 4"/2" cut-off. The idea is to distribute the weight more evenly.

Jaon

Reply to
Jason James

Use the pinch weld, just lat a 2X4 about 12" long across the pinch weld and then jack up the 2X4.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

The factory manual also recommends using the subframes as approved lifting points. See similar answer here:

Daniel M. Dreifus

Thanks,

I was paranoid about using the subframes. I noticed the car in the article was an '87.

Rob

Rob Dean

Mine is a "Generation 3" (1992-1996). According to the two volume factory repair manual, the sub frames are an acceptable lifting point. In the first part of volume 1 under Maintenance they show black colored squares on a diagram indicating lifting points. I always use the subframes and they are plenty strong. I used to use the pinch welds but one day heard a popping sound as they broke. The idea of a 12" - 2 x 4 would probably have prevented this, but in my opinion, the pinch welds are for the scissors jack road side tire changes. For mechanical work, I feel much safer with the sub frames. Just have a look at the way those large diameter steel tubes are welded to the frame in front - solid, vs. the pinch weld stampings that you could probably bend with a pair of channel lock pliers. Just be sure you're looking at the sub frame not some other piece of weaker sheet metal under there.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Just a little adder, If you look at the trunk jack, it is designed to grab around the seam at the jack point. So if you were to use that point with a regular jack, maybe you could use a 2X4 block of wood with a channed carved in it so that it does not put pressure on the seam as you lift the car. I can believe the seam will bend. It is not very strong.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

Thanks,

I cut a slot in the block of wood similar to the factory jack but I also found it lifted safely from the subframe using a floor jack.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Dean