Camry hesitates warm and idling

I have a camry 95 about 127k miles on it. Recently had the front exhaust pipe replaced as it was broken and was leaking.

The front pipe comes with the catalyst.

After that I started to have some trouble ... Cold start is fine and driving around for 5-10 mts it starts to hesitates when cars comes to a halt (like a stop sign or signal light) it also stalls sometimes.

I changed the spark plugs the wires and also cleaned the throtle body...still the same problem

Any ideas ???

Thanks

Reply to
TeriMaki

Check to see that your egr valve is closing at idle.

Reply to
qslim

The mechanic ... Sawpped the EGR valve with a working one...no difference Sawpped the Throttle body with a working one...no difference

This morning when I started the car and was looking at the new front pipe where it joins the manifold, i saw water dripping (at the time of warmup only).

This leak stops when the car is warmed up.

Would this exhaust leak at the exhaust join that might be causing this ?

Note this problem of hesitation started after the replacement of the front pipe.

Any inputs greatly appreciated.

Reply to
TeriMaki

this problem of hesitation started after the replacement of the front pipe

---------- Seems to indicate a problem with that part. Not sure what that would be, possibly creating internal back pressure somehow. If you had it installed, perhaps they can check. Was this a genuine Toyota replacement part? A rough unofficial check for back pressure is to connect a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold, hold the engine at fixed rpm and see if vacuum drops with constant throttle - vacuum drop being analagous to pressure rise.

Reply to
Daniel

If you have a leak-water dripping, the repair shop is responsible . My O2 sensor is on the manifold , I dont know if this could cause your issue, but perhaps the wire connection or sensor is broke?

Reply to
m Ransley

Well, an exhaust leak may cause the car to stall by tricking the O2 sensor into thinking that the mixture is too lean. The computer tries to compensate by adding more and more fuel, but too much fuel @ idle will cause a stall. Usually the leak is very audible, but I actually just fixed one a few weeks ago (that took several days to figure out) that had a similar issue. The manifold was cracked in such a particular way that it only sucked in outside air, so it was totally inaudible. Had to use a smoke machine to find it. Drove me nuts. To make a long story worse... Anyway, you should at least have your tech check the work that he just did if the condition appeared immediately after the repair. Buena suerte.

Reply to
qslim

gauge

vacuum

pressure

No, it was NOT a genuine Toyota part. The mechanic got a generic brand for 350$ The original from Toyota was for 650$.

I will have them try the above test. Thanks

Reply to
TeriMaki

As the car didn't have the problem before when the exhaust was leaking, a leak now (which you cant hear) doesnt sound like the problem. The O2 sensor lives in the exhaust manifold just above the exhaust flange. Maybe its cactus or its wiring is broken, thru misadventure and the car is operating too rich once it heats up?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

leaking, a

sensor

its

operating

Thanks for all your input...After 3 weeks of going back and forth with the mechanic...the problem is now fixed.

It was a bad ignition coil that was causing this problem.

The mechanic had already tried the O2 sensor and he also fixed the leak that was at the junction of the manifold and the front pipe...but did not work.

After more research...here and other sites I asked him to try the ignition coil and it worked.

Thanks again.

Reply to
TeriMaki