Camry Hybrid or Prius?

I am looking at purchasing a TCH or Prius.

My new commute will be approximately 55 miles one-way, with the longest stretch of highway being 35 miles of the 55 miles.

I would really appreciate any feedback, insight, advice (price, comfort, cargo capacity, etc.) on what to consider when comparing these two vehicles.'

Thanks! Jeannie

Reply to
Jeannie

If you want comfort and "roadability" over mileage, Camry. If MPG is the primary goal, Prius.

Camry is heavier and drives nicely. I'm on my third tank, the first two were both over 40 mpg. Prius does even better.

You gotta drive both, preferably back to back, and several times each. Find a cooperative salesman.

Reply to
Bob H

The Camry styling is much much better than the Prius. What I'm not sure if the Hybrid camry uses the same 5 speed tranny on the regular 4 cylinders which if you do a little google search you can find several poor customer reviews.

Reply to
EdV

The Camry hybrid uses the same eCVT (planetary gearset) as the HSD Prius.

Reply to
mrv

Do hybrid cars also have the regular car batteries? or do they use the NiMH batteries for all electricals

Reply to
EdV

In the case of the Toyota hybrids, there is still a regular 12v lead- acid accessory battery. It is only there to power the computers, brake pump, interior lights, power locks, etc. Once the computers are powered up, they'll connect up the big NiMH hybrid battery, and the hybrid battery is what'll start the gasoline engine and also provide power to the electric motors. (There is no conventional starter motor nor is there an alternator.)

On other hybrids (especially the 42v GM "hybrid" pickups), things may be different. (I know that the Honda hybrids, if needed the 12v can power an emergency starter motor to get the engine going.)

Reply to
mrv

why dont they use the NiMH or Lithium ion technology for 12V car batteries? I would imagine they would last longer and be smaller and lighter

Reply to
EdV

Probably because the battery would cost at least $300, and most people want to get a Chinese-made battery at Wallymart for $40. I'm not one of them, but I wouldn't be thrilled at that price tag either...

Reply to
mjc1

My wife and I test drove a 2007 Camry Hybrid this past weekend. Both of us impressed with the ride. I asked a similar question, the salesman stated that during Toyota's testing some of the Lithium batteries had exploded, due to overheating. Couldn't handle the strain being placed on them.

Reply to
Steve Hiner