Camry Jacking For Tire Rotation

I'd like to rotate my own tires vs taking it to the dealer or anyone else. I have access to both a drive-on lift (fine for oil changes) and one with extending arms for under car lifting (2 on each side). But, according to my

2005 owner's manual, there are only front and rear, center of car lift points. This wouldn't allow me to lift an entire side for rotation.

What would be my options, if any?

Thanks

Reply to
Bamboo

Buy a cheap jack stand. You then jack (for example) the front, take the wheel off, put the stand in place, remove the jack. Move the jack to the rear, jack the car up, swap tires, remove the jack. Then jack up the front again, replace the tire, remove the stand and the jack.

Reply to
David In NH

"Bamboo" opin'd thus:

I use the jack that came with the car. I jack up RR, put on the spare, jack up LF, put on the RR, jack up the RF, put on the LF, jack up the LR, put on the LF. Done. (If your spare doesn't match the others like mine does, you'd then have to jack up the RR again to put on the LR. My xB needs that step, too.)

Be sure to set the parking brake and have the car in PARK.

Yes, I know it's a cross rotation. That's what the tire manufacturer recommends and it allows the spare to be in the rotation the same as any other tire.

-Don (I do that every 5,000 miles)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Reply to
Daniel

Yeah, I do this too and put the spare back in the trunk afterwards. Except he only found center lift points (one front, one rear).

I would think he should be able to find four chassis lift points per Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards that jacking points or similar provisions for raising any of the four wheels to effect tire change shall be provided. Check the owner's manual again and see where to place the in-trunk jack.

As far as four stands go, jack stand manufacturers don't seem to like any lateral force on the stands, and understandably so. I use only one pair of stands on one axle (front or rear) at a time for other work.

Reply to
johngdole

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com opin'd thus:

There are four lift points for the jack that comes with the Camry; clearly pointed out in the owner's manual (and pretty obvious too).

Reply to
Don Fearn

Yeah, that's what I thought as required by FMVSS so Bamboo should look again.

Reply to
johngdole