Camry Mirror Replacement

I have a 94 Camry that lost the passenger side power mirror glass (don't ask !)...the local Safelite guy said I lost the "backing plate", too, so he couldn't just replace the glass.

Anyway, I have the replacement part (housing and all), so I'm gonna slap the new one on...

Question : How do I remove the old mirror housing ? It looks like it should be simple, but I don't want to start prying off the inside black triangular piece without checking here first to see if anyone has any advice. It also looks like I don't have to mess with the door panel or anything like that...true ?

Any suggestions/knowledge sharing is appreciated !

Dean...

Reply to
D Larsen

I've never done it, but my Haynes books says that 3 retaining screws lie behind the mirror bracket cover, which should be pried off. (looks triangular - inside of door).

Reply to
camry-keeper

Hmmm....youy don't mention if you have electric mirrors.

Anyway, the removal procedure is quite simple. Pry off the rectangular plastic and undo the three nuts holding it to the door. If you have the manual type, pry off the plastic cap over the handle and remove the screw first and handle first. If you have the elctric type, remove the plastic and GENTLY pull the wiring. It should be log enough that the connector will come out of the door. If not, you will have to remove the door panel.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Thanks, c-k...I figured it had 3 screws, from looking at the mounting points in the new housing. I was just a little leery about prying off the plastic housing inside, 'cause I screwed up my master power switch trying to get THAT out for a different problem !

Sounds like an easy swap-out

Dean...

camry-keeper wrote:

Reply to
D Larsen

Thanks, HachiRoku...

Yes, it's a power mirror. The plug on the mirror does seem to be long enough, but I was wondering about that.

Thanks again for the detailed instructions; "sounds like a 10 minute job", which is a standing joke with my wife, because when I say that, I usually end up screwing enough other things up so it ends up taking hours !

Dean...

HachiRoku wrote:

Reply to
D Larsen

HAHAHA! You're welcome! I always allocate about 3 hours for those 10 minute jobs: 10 minutes to actually accomplish the task, and 2:50 for getting tools, parts, screws etc from the stores, including dropping the wrench while lieing on my back and it finds the slightest incline to roll 10 feet away, putting the tiny parts right down there where I know where they are and then having to spend 15 minutes looking for them (How the hell did it get THERE?!), and then 4 cigarette breaks, because of frustration about why a 10 min job took 3 hours, all the time thinking how much I'd like to go to Japan and punch THIS engineer in the nose for putting it together this way!

Reply to
HachiRoku

...and dropping the small critical screw somewhere down into the engine compartment, or wrenching the head off a rusted screw, leaving the body still in the hole, etc etc !

It's nice to hear that others have "projects" like mine !

Dean...

Reply to
D Larsen

All part of the wonderful experience of keeping our "Toys" running.

Just for some background: I have had about 14 Toyotas. I currently own: '83 Tercel 4WD wagon '85 Celica GTS '85 Corolla GTS (Google 'hachiroku') '86 Camry (actually my Mom's but I do all the maintenance) Just sold a '95 Tercel 2 door that got 45 MPG, so I could buy '88 Supra

Yep, know about breaking them bolts!!!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Toyota makes a rust penetrant aerosol spray.

Still have a 1977 Toyota long bed SR5. Used to put a lot of miles on it, and replaced almost everything from the fuel pump to the head.

Only cost $500 because it had suffered extensive rust being parked near the ocean.

Made a practice of not touching a bolt without first spraying the rust penetrant.

Only once, under time pressure, snapped off four license plate frame bolts thinking I didn't need the penetrant spray for the small bolts - other than that, never had a problem even with tight rusty bolts at the exhaust pipe fastening to the manifold.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

D Larsen wrote in message news:...

putting the tiny

all the time thinking how much I'd like to go to Japan and

Not at all sure anyone wants to hear this that doesn't already know. But here's my $.02. Always, before beginning work on the Camry, I kneel and bow my forehead to the concrete floor, in a few moments of recognition that mine is not the supreme intelligence in the universe, knowing that of myself I can easily damage something expensive, or suffer severe injury and create much larger problems for myself that what I'm trying to correct, and seek to align with the greater Intelligence that underlies the harmonious operation of all, in operation now and create the mental silence that unifies with it. Then unhurriedly, appreciate the workings of the designs I encounter, and the mechanical work flows as a joyous experience, and each part is disassembled, cleaned and replaced or reassembled with fascination and appreciation. ======================================================== I've worked on other vehicles before Toyota - American and European manufacture, yet don't believe I've ever encountered the quality of design found in the Toyota and it is a joy working with the parts and assemblies. Always take your time. I've heard of recreational oil changing - I must be practising recreational mechanical work because I enjoy bringing everything I touch into perfection. The precision of everything continues to amaze me. The idler bearings for the timing belt, the water pump passageways and design. The polished aluminum machining tolerances in the water pump are so precise, the sealant rings are tiny. Perhaps just my personal prejudice, but the difference between the Chevy pressed steel rocker arms on the engines I used to own long ago, and the general design of the Camry is like the difference between a Nikon camera and a Chevy tire jack. They both do the job for which they're intended, but one has more finesse. Have you ever looked at the difference between a Stant radiator cap, and a Toyota radiator cap?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

HAHAHA! Most excellent dissertation, Dan! Perhaps I too will take to bowing before attampting a repair!

As far as manufacturing, I too have noticed how well made almost all the parts in a Toyota are. Most things really are a joy to work on with a Toyota, however, as I said, I would love to punch an engineer or two in the nose on occasion! But that's really more to 'packaging' than design itself.

Reply to
HachiRoku

I have found that General Motors makes an excellent penetrating spray. I sprayed all the possible troublesome bolts uner the hood of my '95 Tercel and then waited about 15 minutes...took all the rust right off them! They looked brand new! I'm going to have a friend who works at a GM dealer get me a case! I have tried WD-40 (UGH) and PB Blaster, but they are nowhere NEAR as effective as that GM stuff.

Reply to
HachiRoku

HachiRoku,

Well, I started the replacement today....I can't get to the electrical connector, so I guess I'll have to pull the door panel. The connector seems to be anchored to something....won't just pull out !

Any tips on removing the door panel ? I removed the 2 screws (under caps) that are hidden when the door is closed. I figured that would give me enough "play" to reach the connector, but no go. Before I go prying every which way, I thought I'd check here !

Dean...

Reply to
D Larsen