Camry Power loss ?

Hi Guys,

I have a 1995 CAMRY 2.2 Automatic. I purchased it new and it now has 104.000 miles on it. It has been well maintained with Engine/Auto box/ Diff all fluid changed all well short of Toyotas recommended periods.

Its been a real gem with very little faults, Silencer/muffler lasted 14 years. Its never been flogged or boy racer stunts ( hell I am 77 years old now )

However over the last 2/3 weeks I have noticed a lack of power while climbing a hill or a long drag. The box appears to drop a gear but no matter how much right foot I give it. It does not accelerate , it feels over geared.to some extent.

On flat or more usual roads all seems ok, other than not as lively maybe.

I have checked all the usual fluid levels they are in order. And not due for change. Air filter has 15k miles. Plugs under 10k miles. Only "got away " has been the fuel filter , its not been replaced EVER. One is on order and I should have that today. Throttle cables seem in order and opens fully.

If after the car is warm or hot from a local run it will while stationary in PARK Rev up to 5 K Revs with little effort. Idle sees smooth.

It starts on the button every morning.

One only other thing I have noticed is, After starting the car from overnight say. I drive away and have a T junction only maybe 75 years off the drive so its sill cold. I stop and just as I accelerate away the is a VERY slight hesitation before the revs come up. It really is momentary.

No dash lights flashing at me at all.

Well I would be interested in any comments . New fuel filter will be fitted over the weekend. I personally don't have a gauge to measure Fuel pump pressure. One has to be careful going into a MainDealers here in the UK.

In passing fuel is now GB£1.30 per litre here that's US$2.08. or US$9.35 a UK Gallon.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

A plugged exhaust system (or catalytic convertor) can result in the sort of problem you describe. The system can collaspe internally while appearing to be in good shape on the outside (I actually had this happen to one of my cars). Another possibility would be a weak fuel pump.

I'd replace the fuel filter first, but if that doesn't correct the problem I'd ask a mechanic to check to the fuel system pressure first and then check for excessive backpressure in the exhaut system.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply. Yea I am in the same area just now from a fuel situation. But I must admit an exhaust thought never came to mind.

I had a new one fitted over a year ago by Toyota Main Dealer GB£560 WOW... Its Stainless Steel and still under warranty. So I think it would take some kind of internal failure, maybe unlikely. Its only been on maybe 5 k Miles. CAT is the original one though.

I was hoping to pick up the filter today but no phone call from them. But I am sure I will be there tomorrow. I will try and corner the Service manager. After 3 MR2s...2 Camrys and 1 Celica over the years between me and my son. I think I can be called a loyal customer He He.

Thanks I will keep informed. Newcastle UK here.

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin