Camry still drifting left after alignment

Thanx Ed for your thoughts on tire pressure. The tire/ allignment guy at the dealer said 34 lbs is best on long hwy trip and that the # on door plate is meant as the minnimum. I have always kept the cold pressure at 32 lbs. I can actually feel a sloppy wandering in my old camry if I neglect to check pressure and it get down to 20- 25 lbs. My wife will be bringing it back to dealer in about a week and ask then to check tires....maybe rotating them would help....I'm actually looking for the time when they get enough wear so I can replace them...if I don't replace car first. With less than 11,000 miles it will take another 2 years for them to wear down.Thanx again for your response.

Marty

Reply to
Marty009

The tire/alignment guy at the dealer needs to go back to school.

The label on the door sill is the RECOMMENDED tire pressure for your vehicle, not the minimum. The number on the tire sidewall is the maximum.

Travis Jordan

Thanx Travis, I will lower the pressure from 32 back to 28.

Reply to
Marty009

This link ^^^^^^^^^ does not make any references to the tire's maximum pressure as noted on the sidewall.

"The correct pressure can be found in a shop service manual or on a tire placard attached to the car. The tire placard is usually found on the left front door jamb just below the certification label. The ->tire placard

Reply to
Philip®

I didn't say it did. But if you want a reference, here's one:

Travis Jordan

The Left Pull problem is pervasive with late model Camrys and Solaras. Your alignment can be perfect but it will pull Left and have very poor straight line stability. I guess all vehicles aren't impacted but my

2001 sure is. 2 different dealers and an independent shop have made 10 attempts - it still pulls left.

Check other boards, there has been tons of discussions about the problem. (mysery loves company)

Toyota released a TSB in February '04 to fix it on 2004s so they know about the problem but they refuse to do anything about prior model years. This is a major cover up by Toyota.

Manufacturers are required to report all written complaints to the NHTSA under the TREAD Act, a result of the Explorer/Firestone fiasco. Even though Toyota does not respond to written complaints, they still have to file reports so write a complaint to their Customer Service Dept. Phone calls won't do it. You have to write. Keep the pressure on them. They won't do anything about this until they are forced to.

Reply to
Fearless Fossdick

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Fearless Fossdick being of bellicose mind posted:

Just an off-the-wall idea .... might the power steering rack be PUSHING the steering off center due to a valving problem. (?)

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

I have a new (six weeks ago) 2004 XLE that pulls left just the same. Been in to dealer already once with that complaint with no resolution. It's going back again now...I'll let you know what they say.

Reply to
BLimey

Bent car. Yeah... that's it! BENT CAR! Demand another one while it's still low mileage!

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

In news:LFqXb.11517$_66.2212@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com,
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Philip®

You could be correct. Just had the steering rack replaced and noticed the same highway wandering problem. At first I thought the wandering was induced by suspension load changes caused by road undulations, but when I was on a straight/flat stretch of highway, I notice it would dart right and left as if there was loseness/play in the steering. Now the car generally feels "not right". Very subtle but noticable. The rack was replaced with a re-manufactured unit. Could this be the problem or could they have knocked some of the steering components out of specs. The wandering is very difficult to control when it is windy. Sometimes the wind seems to have more control over the front-end than I do.

Reply to
Homeratsea

I find there are TWO TSB's concerning this late model Camry steering pull. Have both of them been performed?

First one is TSB ST005-01 Followup one is TSB ST002-04

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

In news:b83dc65b.0402231159.1144cb17@posting.google.com,