Camry tire questions (tires stolen from Chicago park district lot!)

does it matter?

Reply to
kenji

?????1???2?????n?????1???2?????`?????1???2??????????1???2??????????1???2?????N

;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I just am afraid to tell you how long ago I heard that joke...

So, if you just discovered it (according to one of your 'accomplices', then you must be just a pup! ;)

Hey, I have another question for you. Is there a Hardware Compatibility List for MAC OSX somewhere?

Now, you said OSX was based on BSD. I have tried various 'flavors' of Linux, but there is one problem that's kicking my ass...

I have THREE scanners. I get them at my favorite store...the Salvation Army. One is a Parallel port scanner, and 2 are USB. They were all under $15, and one is a Xerox Scanner/Copier/Printer that works great.

Why 3 scanners? Well, you THINK I would write down the MODEL COMPATIBILITY for Linux before I bought another one (well, one was because it had the complete Windows software suite with it...), but they are so inexpensive, and I have 2 running systems at any given time...but, again I digress.

I'm wondering if OSX has this same problem; that there are drivers (mostly sketchy at best) for only certain models, and you have to buy one of these models or you don't get scanner capability. If Not, then...that means there are drivers for OSX that should work under Linux if slightly massaged...

Aside from the Xerox WorkCentre XK35, I have a Visioneer One Touch USB and a Mustek 1200EP. Is there some way you can see if these are supported, or point me somewhere?

Thanks...

Reply to
Hachiroku

what do you need to scan, how much and how often?

Reply to
kenji

Mostly old photographs. The scanners (ALL of them) work with Windows, but since I use Linux most of the time, it sure would be nice to get ONE of them working with Linux!

I used to be a semi-pro photographer (I used to sell prints to the Boston Sunday Globe and Hartford Sunday Courant magazines) and had some of my work displayed at a couple galleries. Going through some old boxes I found some prints and negatives I though I had lost. I use The Gimp, but I also have an older version of Photoshop for Windows, and also Paint Shop Pro 9.

I can use them under Windows, but it's be nice to have one working in Linux...

Reply to
Hachiroku

wrote:

I'm just watching it play out

Reply to
kenji

Just ANOTHER reason by Linux is for nerds and NOT the general user group.

Reply to
sharx35

You ought to try it! Download a "Live" CD like Knoppix, Ubuntu or SuSE. Knoppix and Ubuntu are REALLY easy to use.

I always thought that too, and I tried Linux through the 90's and gave up in frustration, either software defieincies or hardware problems.

In 2002 I loaded SuSE and haven't hardly looked back...

Except to use a scanner...

Reply to
Hachiroku

wrote:

Oh no? Why not?

Reply to
Hachiroku

????n????`????????????N

???? I don't get it...

If you're talking "Glamour Shots" or "Modelling" that wasn't my bag. Live events, 'slice of life' and Nature were my big subjects. One of the shots sold to the Boston Globe was a conductor. There used to be a train 'museum' in Vermont that would run a train on weekend with old cars and a steam engine pulling the thing. They'd go 15 miles out, and then move the engine from the 'front' to the 'rear'. While they were doing this the passengers got off the train and milled about the platform. i took a shot of the 'conductor', a slight man in his 50's, with the white beard and the uniform, the whole bit. He was in the middle of the crowd, and I caught him just as he looked at me, with a bit of a 'twinkle' in his eye. Beautiful shot.

I sold one to the Hartford Courant, it was color film, but it appeared as black-and-white. It was an old tobbacco shed in northern CT that had the tobbacco field 'converted' to growing some kind of saplings. They were about 12 feet tall and had all the leaves at the very top. It was a foggy day, and the fog was RIGHT above the tops of the trees, like it was just touching them.

The amazing thing was, everything below the fog was in washed-out color, since it was a gray day, and everything above was black-and-white-ish. A truly amazing shot.

Both of these pics were "Opportunity" shots, Right Place/Right Time, but then, I always carried my camera with me. I would stop in the middle of the raod for a good shot (AFTER lppking to make sure it was SAFE, first, OF COURSE!)

Nah, none of that 'Cheescake' stuff...but, of course, when I did do people girls were usually the focal point of the shot! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

: > In article , : > Hachiroku ??n??`??????N wrote: : > : >> Oh dear...I hate to say this...How old are you. : > : > does it matter?

[...]

HP1210 "all in one" works fine on our mini-mac with OSX.

It cost me $40 on sale new a year or so ago...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Flat bed or sheet feed?

The HPs are more fully supported.

Reply to
Hachiroku

: > : Aside from the Xerox WorkCentre XK35, I have a Visioneer One Touch USB : > : and a Mustek 1200EP. Is there some way you can see if these are : > : supported, or point me somewhere? : > : > HP1210 "all in one" works fine on our mini-mac with OSX. : > : > It cost me $40 on sale new a year or so ago...

: Flat bed or sheet feed?

: The HPs are more fully supported.

HP1210 is a flatbed scanner/copier/printer selling for around $26 right now at amazon

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

That's less than the Color Cartridge!

I remember the "Good Old Days" when they gave you full cartridges, instead of the "starter carts" they give you now!

Reply to
Hachiroku