Camry V6 2002 mileage

I get about 15.5 mpg in mostly suburban driving during the winter and about

20 mpg. Isn't it a little too high? I am not very heavy on gas pedal. I do my own oil change with 5w30, I change the air filter every 15 k and inflate the tires to 30-31 psi I have 58K miles.

James

Reply to
James Atkinson

Don`t you mean isn`t it to low, and it probably is, get a mechanic to go over it. A few things , retarded timing can cost 4 mpg, dragging brakes, other things a scope can find.

Reply to
m Ransley

You're right, it's too low. I meant to say it's too high referring to the gas consumption. Also meant to say the same kind of driving during the summer would take me to 20 mpg. What I did not mention was that twice a day my wife drives the car about half a mile to a parking lot and back. I also drive this car for about 10 miles during the day. Do you think that might explain the lousy mileage?

Reply to
James Atkinson

I have a 4 cil and at coldest temps 0-10f get 20 mpg city , city- hwy I get 24. In summer I get 27 city 31-32 city Hwy 35- 36 straight hwy. It depends on how heavy your foot is, but Id say you are low mpg. Mobil 1

5-30 helps. Mobil Trans fluid in Differential and Trans help. So does a tune up. I dont know your driving situation, or car care or area- temps driven, but it sounds low.
Reply to
m Ransley

When my wife is driving at local roads, I am getting around 16-17 in winter and summer 18-19 for my Accord V6. The gas mileage should be close for these two cars.

Short trips not only kills gas mileage, it also creates sludge in engine more likely.

Reply to
harry

That's not very encouraging. I used to drive this car about 150 miles a day, changing oil every 5000 miles. Now I treat the usage as extreme and change it every 3000. I use Mobil 5W30. I just purchased a Mobil 1 box, next oil change I switch to synthetic. Since the concern for sludge and water in the oil, I will have to change the oil at the same intervals. That might prove to be more expensive, but the question is: will the synthetic help in this situation?

Reply to
James Atkinson