Can I use P185 70R14 tire on my 1995 Camry V6

I have four snow tires which are P185 70R14(From my 1987 Camry). Can I use it on my 1995 Camry V6 in winter time? The current tires are P205

60R15. Thanks.
Reply to
Kanata2004

If the wheels fit. Obviously, you can't mount 14" tires on 15" rims.

You will notice a big difference in handling and the speedo will be off. But, the skinnier tires will give you a better 'cut' in snow.

Reply to
hachiroku

My P185 70R14 tires are on rim. I did some research on internet.

My conclusion is: I can use the old winter 185 70R14 tires (on old rim) but it will affect the mileage because of the smaller size.

Here is an article form Tirerack.com:

Kanata2004

Tire Rack is a nice source for this kind of stuff. As long as the bolt pattern matches up there should be no problem.

Reply to
Hopkins

It won't affect the speedometer much at all. The 14" tires are only 1/2" , or 2% smaller in diameter than the 15" tires. This would only be approx

1.5 mph difference at 70 mph. I doubt your gas mileage would suffer any.
Reply to
Ken Day

It's the circumference that makes the difference in MPH

I am not sure, (cause I haven't been a speedo guy for about five years now), what the actual differnce would be. However, I do believe it would have to turn a bit faster than that described. My math mind is out of pocket at this time, and I am pulling this up from a tired set of DIMMS...................although It's feasible to just run it against another vehicle that is trusted to be accurate, and just adjust your thinking to certain miile per hour settings differences...........I have even seen folks mark on the speedo lens with a sharpee to show the marks to keep em outta trouble. I recomend tape or electrostatic film to mark on, unless you can change the lense yourself later.

The above poster may be right, but it just doesn;t feel right to me.

Math explanations are simply not viable from me right now........LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Oops, I forgot to mention that the MPH you will read will be higher with smaller tires, not the reverse...............

Smaller tires are actually safer to "hope" against because the speedo will read faster than you are going.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Circumference , diameter ...can't have more of one without the other. A tire has to be larger in diameter to have a larger circumference. I suppose I should have done the math , so here it is.

First , what those numbers and letters mean.

P = Passenger car 185 = width of tire in mm 70 = aspect ratio. The distance from the bead of the tire to the top of the tread would be 70% of the width. R = radial 15 = wheel size of course

There is usually another letter such as H or V and so on which is the speed rating of the tire.

P185 70R14

185 mm x 70% = 129.5mm distance from the bead to top of tread. Now we double that to get total bead to top of tread height for top and bottom. 129.5 mm x 2 = 259 mm / 25.4 = 10.19 inches wheel size of 14" + 10.19" = 24.19" 24.19 x 3.14 = 75.9" rollout... or circumference.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- P205 60R15

205 mm x 60%=123 mm x 2 = 246 mm / 25.4 = 9.68 inches wheel size of 15" + 9.68" = 24.68" 24.68" x 3.14 = 77.5" rollout ....or circumference

So you can see there is approx 2% difference in diameter or circumference which also equates to 2% difference in indicated speed. 70 mph x 2% = 1.4 mph. Indicated speed with the smaller tires would be faster than you are actually traveling.

Please don't attack me for not showing this in formula format , I preferred doing it the way I did.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Thinker skin Ken,.............I said you may be right. It just didn't feel right to me as I used to adjust/repair speedos, and had to measure out rollout and such everytime so as to make an accurate setting when finished. I apologize if it seemed as an attack. It was not meant to be at all. Just a clarification to the original poster.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I didn't think it was an attack. Sorry if I made it sound that way. I too was just trying to clarify my post. :-)

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Hi,

Here's a site with a rolling circumference calculator in it:

and a lot of other information as well. It mentions the "plus one" concept of changing tyre sizes, and how it may affect your ride comfort.

Cheers

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Here's an easy way to do it. The difference in the speedo will most likely be negligable, but may be a couple MPH:

This is a nice one; it shows you the new profile compared with the original profile.

Here's 1010 tires'

And another:

I think the OP said he had 205/60-15's to begin with; a 185/60-14 will be

7.9% off, or will show 60MPH on the speedo when actual speed is ~56MPH.
Reply to
hachiroku