Can one determine the serial number of original engine?

I am trying to determine if I have the orginal engine in 1996 Camry bought used [some marking suggest it is a junkyard replacement, and higher mileage].

So, is there a way to find the serial number of the car's original engine for comparison? Or is there a way to determine at least the year of a given engne from it's number as with other products?

Reply to
Dan Falkoff

Usually the engine number is the same as the VIN

Dan Falkoff wrote:

Reply to
Gary Danaher