can't turn ignition

There is probably an obvious answer, but:

Once in a while on my old car (and now for the first time with the 2002 Camry), I would not be able to turn the key in the ignition until after I turned the steering wheel slightly. It's almost like having to relieve some of the pressure ...

What is the explanation for this?

Thanks, michael

Reply to
Michael Ott

I have experienced this many times as well. I just don't lock the steering wheel and this is a non issue. I recall a few years ago when I had to help a women to get her Taurus to start (I drove the same year) because the wheel was locked.

Reply to
Car Guy

okay, thanks for the explanation (and the clarification via email), but to go one level deeper (purely for interests sake):

Is this a feature (i.e. designed) or merely a by-product? What happens in the car to actually prevent the key from turning?

michael

Reply to
Michael Ott

Reply to
Car Guy

Mike, Try this, when you shut off the engine, don't touch the steering wheel. If you do turn the wheel and here a click then you will have to turn the steering wheel to turn the key. By not locking the steering wheel I think the key will turn without having to touch the wheel.

-- Tony Marsillo Nutmeg Repair

Reply to
Tony Marsillo