Castrol or Mobil 1 100% Synthetic Oil - Where To Get Cheap?

Hi,

Do any of you know where to get either Castrol or Mobil 1 100% synthetic oil cheap? I live in central NC and am looking for "big box" chains that may carry these at a good price. I would be more partial to the Castrol if available

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Sr.

Have you tried Sam's/Walmart or Costco? They are among the cheapest I've seen.

Reply to
badgolferman

Castrol "synthetic" that is sold in the USA is not really synthetic, and if you buy it, you are getting ripped off. See the link below for details. Wal-mart sells a 5 gallon container of Mobil 1 for about $18-$20.

Mark A

BGM,

I don't have a membership in either of the warehouse clubs. Sams is local but I am not aware of Costco in this area. Last time I was in Wal-mart I didn't see much oil selection at all. I'll go look again.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Sr.

Mark,

Thanks for the link on Castrol. At one time Castrol was right below Amsoil in wear prevention. I guess this new formulation is unknown. I think I'll stay away from it.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Sr.

Reply to
Michael

Really good advice, Michael! :) The original poster looks like is based in US, so ducking *down* under for 5l of motor oil it's really going to save him some serious money! Keep'em comming! :)

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, here - down under, Mobil1 has exactly the same price whether you buy it off Kmart, Auto1, or Super Cheap. You try to find a good deal on that when you need it... (Granted, super-cheap has price reductions about twice a year)

Ino!~

Reply to
Bogdan Iamandei

$1 per quart for Mobil1 at which Walmart?

Reply to
Fred

I think he meant 5 QUART container. I've seen them at Wal-Mart. Another option is Sam's Club. I was doing a little price checking this past Friday and found that a six-quart "case" was going for $25.88.

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Yes, I meant 5 quarts, not 5 gallons.

Reply to
Mark A
6 - 1 litre bottles of Mobil 1 sell for $35.98 at Sam's Club in Toronto, Canada. That works out to about $28.78 US a case.
Reply to
Car Guy

I live in Raleigh. The local Wal*Marts all seem to carry Mobil 1 in the 5 gallon jugs. And the one on Gleenwood Ave had the 6 1-Quart pacakes last week (bought one myself). Sam's club sells the 6 1-Quart packages for $25.88. The price at Wal*Mart was around $28.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

I went to Wal-Mart today and saw a 5 US Quart container of Mobil 1 for $19.97 USD. They also had the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil for about $24 USD, but I would not use Extended Performance oil since it is not an energy saving formula (does not improve gas).

Reply to
Mark A

Depends. The Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (dubbed "German Castrol" because it's made in Germany) is believed to be a true PAO/ester oil. It's an oil with several European manufacturers' approvals, but doesn't meet API "Energy Conserving" standards. There's a little question as to the latest version of it being a true PAO/ester oil, as the color has changed from greenish to amber.

What's really confusing is that sometimes there's an US-made version of the Castrol Syntec 0W-30, which does carry the "Energy Conserving" label, but which doesn't have a list of European approvals. That's probably a Group III oil.

Then there's the Castrol Syntec 5W-40, which is made in Belgium. It's probably also a mostly Group III oil.

I don't know exactly what's going to happen now that BP bought out Castrol.

Reply to
y_p_w