Central locking malfunction

Hi,

Since last week my remote entry doesnt work well anymore, open or close doors is impossible by using the remote. The LED on the remote lights up when i press the button. When i use my key to unlock the drivers side door, the other doors remain locked. When i lock the drivers side door with the key, the passenger side door locks as well. Who can solve this mystery?

My Camry is a 1996 V6 (new model)

Thanks in advance,

Eric, Holland.

Reply to
Pony

You might have enough battery power in the remote to light the LED, but not transmit very far. You didn't mention replacing the battery.

Also, to unlock ALL the doors from the driver's door, turn the key twice. This should unlock all the doors at once.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks for the input, but unfortunately changing the battery in the remote didnt solve the problem. Also, turning the key twice, does not unlock anything more than just the driver's door. I am afraid something is wrong with the central door locking system itself. Where can i find that, how can i fix it?

Thanks, Eric.

"Hachiroku" schreef >

Reply to
Pony

Check your fuses, especially the one for the radio and cigarette lighter. If that's OK, it may be a faulty door lock control relay which, according to the manual, is up under the dash on the passenger side. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

Make sure the battery is put in with the polarity in the proper direction. The dealer did this for my parents and that remote fob did not work correctly. This was 5 years ago. I opened it up and replaced to see if I could fix it and discovered the battery was in backwards. Works fine now.

Reply to
Clay

The central locking USED to be in the door; it is a small plastic box with a small CKT board inside. These rarely go bad, however. I would be looking for a loose connection.

Now, my level of familiarity is with 80's models. Some cars had the Door unit under the center console. This makes a lot more sense, since the two times I did have to mess with the boxes, they were WET!

Also things to look for are the soleniods that lock/unlock the doors. These may be mounted near the lock or at the bottom of the door frame; this requires removing the door panel for access. What I found was giving me the source of my troubles were:

  1. The metal retaining clip from the trim piece around the lock had worked loose and lodged in the connector
  2. a bad switch.

But, these were causing the lock INSIDE the cars not to operate. Your malfunction seems to be from the Fob itself; in this case I would look for an 'antenna', a piece of wire just dangling all by itself. It may have come loose and gone to an area where the signal from the fob is shielded.

Sorry I can't be more specific; these are just generalizations that may be applied to any car, any make. Also, Toyota has gone to this interesting idea called Relay Integration, where a lot of different curcuits are loaded into one module. So, if your key in the ignition beeper goes bad, you have to spend about $240 to replace the entire module! Not one of Toyota's better ideas...

Reply to
Hachiroku