Certain options: order them with car, or aftermarket?

I am a newbie at this, having bought my last car about 10 years ago, so please bear with me.

We are in the market for a new Toyota. Still unsettled on the model. However, the family definitely wants a 6 CD CHANGER and a SUNROOF!

Question: Is it best to order these as options when buying a new car, or get them done in the aftermarket later?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ajanta

Depending on the car, it is getting more difficult to add aftermarket stereos. Just look at the dash and you can see why. If you have any questions about whether you can get an aftermarket CD changer, contact a store and get a firm estimate before you purchase the car.

As far as a sunroof is concerned, don't even think about aftermarket for that option.

Reply to
Mark A

: Depending on the car, it is getting more difficult to add aftermarket : stereos. Just look at the dash and you can see why. If you have any : questions about whether you can get an aftermarket CD changer, contact a : store and get a firm estimate before you purchase the car. : : As far as a sunroof is concerned, don't even think about aftermarket for : that option.

Someone mentioned an interesting option between factory and aftermarket: the dealership itself. Presumably they'd mention it themselves if they offer the service.

Reply to
Ajanta

BTW, CD's are passé. Most people use MP3 player (or iPod) connected to a AUX input. You can store hundreds of CD's in MP3 format on most of these machines, even the cheap ones. Just look for a unit with an AUX input, preferably in a convenient place like in the armrest storage area.

When I bought my 98 Camry I replaced the entire stereo with aftermarket, which was cheaper than getting the Toyota 6 CD changer. But the unit recently went bad, and I replaced it with receiver that doesn't even have a CD player at all. It has AUX input, USB input, and SD memory input (on front panel). This is future of car stereo.

Mark A

: BTW, CD's are passé. Most people use MP3 player (or iPod) connected to a AUX : input. You can store hundreds of CD's in MP3 format on most of these : machines, even the cheap ones. Just look for a unit with an AUX input, : preferably in a convenient place like in the armrest storage area. : : When I bought my 98 Camry I replaced the entire stereo with aftermarket, : which was cheaper than getting the Toyota 6 CD changer. But the unit : recently went bad, and I replaced it with receiver that doesn't even have a : CD player at all. It has AUX input, USB input, and SD memory input (on front : panel). This is future of car stereo. :

I haven't stepped into the ipod age yet, so if this is what makes most sense I'll have to learn it.

On short local drives I usually have the radio on: news, or classical music.

On longer drives, when radio stations come and go, we usually switch to classical cd's, entire cd's at a time , not individual tracks or songs.

I am comfortable with selecting Disc-1 or Disc-5 when driving alone.

Not sure if it would be safe to fiddle with a small lcd screen trying to locate particular music?

Reply to
Ajanta

WHat Mark A Said. It's getting harder to replace stock radios. A lot of them have the heater or other controls integrated into them.

Depends on the model. My Scion was simple, but an Avalon would be near impossible. Too many things integrated into the radio.

If you can replace the radio, get one with an array of features. I replaced the stock radio with a CD player that plays MP3 or .WAV friles from CD; you can fit >200 songs on a CD. Look into getting one with an integrated XM or Sirius satellite option. Toyota has a contract with XM, and is controllable from the radio. Almost all Toyota radios also have iPod/MP3 player inputs integrated with a jack in the console.

The Pioneer that came with my Scion was pretty decent, and after I replaced the speakers with something worthwhile it was even better. But, mine didn't have the MP3 jack, so I couldn't connect my MP3 player or my aftermarket XM receiver.

Lots of options! If I were you I'd keep the stock radio and get better speakers installed.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't know what you are talking about. If you are talking about an aftermarket or dealer installed sunroof DON'T DO IT.

Almost all "dealer" aftermarket stuff is outsourced to local shops that specialize in that kind of stuff. The only exception is installation of Toyota parts that meant to be installed by the dealer (these are mentioned on the Toyota website as dealer installed options).

I can absolutely guarantee you that if your dealer offers to put a sunroof on a car that does not come from the factory with one, they are outsourcing it to a local shop. Same with leather seats, window tinting, etc. Aftermarket leather seats and window tinting is fine, but do not get an aftermarket sunroof. There are plenty of models that come with sunroofs (too many IMO).

Reply to
Mark A

: Lots of options! If I were you I'd keep the stock radio and get better : speakers installed.

f the stock stereo came with a cd changer, my problem is solved. Otherwise, is your advice to order the cd changer as a factory installed option?

It would probably be useful to have a slot for ipod. But using ipod to store several cd's worries me: when driving alone, would it be safe for me to fiddle with a small lcd screen to find particular music? With cd's I am used to selecting Disc 3 etc.

(As may be obvious, I have no ipod experience and never used one yet.)

Reply to
Ajanta

: Aftermarket leather seats and window tinting is fine, but do not get an : aftermarket sunroof. There are plenty of models that come with sunroofs (too : many IMO).

Thanks, I do appreciate clear advice. Will stay with factory sunroof.

Reply to
Ajanta

There is no reason why you cannot play classical on an MP3 player or iPod. My iPod is about 60% classical (275 albums total). You can build playlists ahead of time and just start the playlist, or play one album at a time, or play one composer/musician, etc.

Buying an iPod is going to be a lot cheaper and more convenient that a 6 CD changer, especially if there is an iPod or AUX input in the storage area under the armrest. It doesn't take long to get tired of hearing those same 6 CD's over and over. Storing a lot of CD's in your car is not a good idea since they can warp in the heat.

In addition to the iPod, there is the Microsoft Zune, and many other companies that make MP3 players.

As someone else mentioned, even people who use CD players these days are playing CD-R's burned on their computer with MP3 music format. This allows

10 times the storage as a regular CD. The CD format is a terrible waste of space.
Reply to
Mark A

: There is no reason why you cannot play classical on an MP3 player or iPod. : My iPod is about 60% classical (275 albums total). You can build playlists : ahead of time and just start the playlist, or play one album at a time, or : play one composer/musician, etc.

If I understand your advice, as long as there is an ipod slot in the stock radio, we can skip cd's completely, and that it won't be unsafe for me when driving alone to select music from a little ipod?

BTW it is true that the same 6 cd's get boring. We do change ours before major drives, Christmas season etc., but of course not as often as one might want. The family's insistence on *changer* comes from one rental car experience that came with a single-cd player. It was real pain to carry cd's in their jewel boxes and then play them one by one. In contrast, 6 well chosen cd's are more than enough for a typical long drive.

Reply to
Ajanta

Actually, all you need is an AUX (auxiliary input). Most newer cars come with them. iPod slots are available on some cars, but this is a proprietary interface and only works with Apple iPod.

Anyway, you can get a 6 CD changer for most Toyotas installed at factory or installed by dealer (not aftermarket).

Reply to
Mark A

I have seen a lot of problems with aftermarket sunroofs and very few problems with factory sunroofs. I have had factory sunroofs in the last 50 or 60 Toyotas I've owned or had assigned to me, and never had a problem with one. I rarely open the sunshade on my sunroofs, much less open the roof because I prefer a quiet, air-conditioned interior, and the season with temperatures where I would open the sunroof - 60 to 70 degrees, is short here in the Chicago area. I end up with cars with sunroofs because they come with all of the other stuff I ordered.

Sunroofs generally come in cars that are fairly well-equipped with options, so you may have a hard time finding one with a sunroof without a CD changer.

Reply to
Ray O

CD changer upgrade on Corolla XLE is only about $200.

Reply to
Mark A

A lot of the newer radios have iPod controllers built-in.

My Scion radio was a Pioneer, it plays MP3 CDs, and it has the capability to control both an XM receiver and an iPod with factory add-ons (cables). It wasn't a changer, but I make my own CDs (burn >200 songs in MP3 format to a single disk) and it takes a long time to get through over 200 songs!

You make a 'data CD' ,and can put different folders/directory on the disk. Let's say you like Classical and Classic Rock. You make one folder for Classical and one folder for Classic Rock, and the player give you the option to change the folder on the fly.

You can get an aftermarket Pioneer XM receiver that installs behind the dash, under a seat, etc, is out of sight and is controllable by the stock receiver. Check with an XM dealer to get the proper unit and cable (Toyota wants >$300 for the receiver, but also gives you a year ($160) free.

Believe it or not, my MP3 player is my cell phone. It connects through the same jack I use for my XM receiver, and I installed a phone mount on the dash. Upside: when I am listening to the MP3s, if the phone rings the phone takes over tha audio, and comes out through the stereo. The phone is mounted close enough so the mic can pick up my voice, and I can use the volume buttons on the outside of the phone to change the song forwards or backwards one song for each press of the button.

But, I'm a nerd/gadget freak anyway! ;)

I noticed in another post you're thinking of a Prius. The radio is integrated into the LCD control panel and probably can't be replaced, unless someone is making a head unit for that car. If they are, it's going to be $$$$$$$. Get all the options you need if you get a Prius, if they aren't there already.

Reply to
hachiroku

Since my '03 Avalon doesn't have a jack for an iPod, I simply use the phony cassette (which I used to use to attach a personal CD player in an older car) in the cassette slot, and it works fine, for hours of music.

As for a sunroof, I've had about five cars with sunroofs, and never paid for one on a new car. (I've never bought a 'new' car.) The sunroofs just happened to be included in the used cars we bought. I've used them only to air out the car (which I could have done by opening the windows) and never open either the opaque slider or the window itself while driving. Personally, I wouldn't pay an additional $10 for a sunroof. However, I'd get a Solara convertible in a heartbeat if my wife agreed....but she hates convertibles. (A happy wife makes for a happy life, they say.)

Reply to
mack