Changing brake fluid

Any advice on whether speed bleeders are reliable for changing brake fluid? If so, which brand is good.

Thanks.

Reply to
aiuser

I tried Russell brand brake speed bleeders a couple of years ago. They worked as advertised. They made the job a little easier especially if you don't have a helper to pump the brake for you.

I'm not sure that I would try them again unless the price came down. I'd rather put the money towards a tool that could draw the fluid out (vacuum) using standard bleeders.

Reply to
RickC

Because "aiuser" could, he/she/it opin'd:

If you mean genuine Speed Bleeder brand

YES; they are very good. ALL my motorcycles with hydraulic brakes and/or clutches have them!

-Don (here with a hearty recommendation)

Reply to
Don Fearn

the linked article says pressure bleeders are good but cost $300 - here's one for around $50

problem i've had is sometimes tricky to get a good seal at themaster cylinder, but once you get it set up correctly, bleeding brakesis very simple

Reply to
Daniel

Many people are happy with Speed Bleeders "

". You just have to periodically use the sealer they provide (or buy at parts stores) around the threads to prevent air from getting sucked back in when you release the pedal.

I personally prefer a pressure bleeder:

Their web site also has the instructions. Read them and see if that's something you'd prefer doing over Speed Bleeders.

johngdole

I use a cut and clamped bicycle tube, a hose clamp, and a bicycle pump.

I've seen plans for a pressure bleeder on the BMW group using a garden sprayer.

Cheers, Mike Davis

Reply to
ycleptor2