Changing Wires

What is the "trick" in getting the wires of the distributor cap? Do I need a special tool? I have a Camry ´92 V6

Reply to
CamryV6

On '90 camry, there are some plastic clip on each one that hold the plug wire on the dist cap. I think you have to squeeze the clip and twist and remove the rubber boot from dist cap, don't pull the wire, grab the rubber boot and wiggle it out. Might have better access if you remove the cap. If cap and rotor have not been replace in awhile, might be time for new on.

Reply to
jjjsan

Thanks alot!

Reply to
CamryV6

I believe you're supposed to change the wires and cap as a unit. Probably a good idea to also replace the rotor, and thin gasket at the base of the cap aka "distributor packing." Also recommended by many knowledgeable folks with unfortunate experiences to the contrary, to stay with factory original parts only for secondary iginition components - significantly better quality. On my '94, 4 cylinder, the wires and cap are supplied separately, but when you install the wires they click firmly into position - don't know how you could remove them at that point because the plastic locking clip is inside the distributor towers.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Yeah, If you are working on the dist area, its a good ideal to replace the O-ring on the dist shaft to prevent oil from leaking from the shaft.

I replaced dist shaft O-ring, dist cap, rotor, wires, and missing dist cap large o-ring on my '90 camry. Toyota plugs wire are nicely bundled together with support plastic brackets that pop right on the engine, at the proper location. Very nice design. You'll pay a few more $ for OEM parts, but you know they will fit correctly. Mail ordering parts from Butler toyota save lots of $$$ compared to local dealer.

Reply to
jjjsan