Check Engine at 31k Mi

I have a 2001 Camry with 31,100 miles on it. Just the other day the check engine light came on and I did not have the ability to take it to the Dealer as the manual suggests. It happened on my way home from work and the engine seems to run fine. I had over a half tank of gas and the cap is on tight. I have had the Tranny fluid changed at 30k and the oil every 3k, the air cleaner was changed at 20k. All service was performed at non-Toyota service centers although they use mfg compatilbe lubricants. Does anyone have any info on what might trigger the check engine light at 30, 100 miles. Is this a service gimmick or ???.

Appreciate any advice as it might be a couple days till I can get it in for service.

Reb

Reply to
Reb

It's no service gimmick, the control system is percieving a problem with the engine/ related systems. 8 times out of 10 or so it is usually related to the emissions system (evaporative control, EGR, etc...) and will generally not affect the driveability of the car in the short term. But there is a problem, so get it checked out.

Reply to
qslim

goto Autozone and get the code(s) read out for free.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Check the engine oil dipstick, it should be on the low end. Some service stations use inferior lubricants and that could be your problem. Top the engine oil to the max mark, disconnect your battery red terminal, with the ignition swith in the off position for 3 min, and connect back, it will reset the light. If it comes back again then there are some other problems.

Reply to
kdv

Make sure the Gas Cap is good and tight.

This is probably the number one cause of Trouble codes in the USA.

I see it many, many times a day.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®