Check engine light 2000 Toyota Camry

Recently the check engine light has been staying on. At the last oil change (68K miles), the mechanic tested the engine and thinks it could be the E.G.R valve but I have to spend $60 to find out what it is exactly. How much can I expect to pay to fix the E.G.R. valve? Can Autozone tell me what it is so I can just pay for the repair? The car does not stall out so he seemed to think it's a "minor" repair. Funny, I think Toyota should replace the "check engine" light with a "$$$" symbol - it would be more appropriate.

Thanks.

Reply to
dora

I went AutoZone and they told me the code P0401. I was told that my EGR valve was clogged or that there was a clog in the hose that goes to the valve. Is this something I can fix myself? I am not mechanically inclined and I'm willing to pay someone else, if necessary.

Thanks again.

Reply to
dora

The internet covers a lot of territory. You might give a general hint as to your location.

mb

dora wrote:

Reply to
MB

I'm in Westerly, RI.

Reply to
dora

Try removing the EGR valve (located on the intake manifold) and cleaning out the manifold passage. Sometimes it gets clogged up with carbon 'goop;'.

You should replace the EGR valve body gasket while you have it out -- should be about $1.00 at Autozone. If this doesn't work then the next step would be to replace the EGR valve. That will be more expensive - $125 or so.

Travis Jordan