check engine light

Hi all,

my mother-in-law's car check engine light came on. nothing seems to be wrong with the car, i.e. running fine/fluids full, etc.

I was wondering if there is a way to check codes like there is on chrysler product where you cycle the ignition and count blinking lights?

the car is a 2000 Avalon with 66k.

Thanks in advance for any tips and help

Brad

Reply to
jnb

You need an OBD2 reader to get the codes, no shortcuts. You might get it read free at a car parts place, some do it. Oh yeah, make sure the cas cap is on tight, that will set it off sometimes.

mike

-----------

jnb wrote:

Reply to
MB

gas cap was the first thing i checked and it was on tight.

Brad

Reply to
jnb

You can get an odb2 reader for about 125 bucks, so probably someone you know has one already. The shops will usually charge you 90 bucks to read it, it takes all of 2 minutes. Good luck. I read em for 5 bucks in the south bay area.

mike

jnb wrote:

Reply to
MB

My 99 Camry has the engine light on for two weeks now. I had it checked by a licensed mechanic for free. My code is: P0441 This is an Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow. Very insignificant thing and will not affect the car's ability to perform at it's optimal level. I'll probably need a stupid VSV = Vapor Pressure Sensor.

Reply to
Omega