Check Engine Light on 99 Camry

The Check Engine light on my 99 camry came on at 116,000 miles. I took it to the dealer who said the problem was the emission control valve. He charged $164.00 and replaced the control valve. Two days later the Check Engine light came on again. When I took it back, he said they had misdiagnosed the problem and it is the charcoal filter that was bad. The dealer said they would relace it for $346.00. Where is the charcoal filter located? I cannot find this listed on Camry parts lists.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Lubeck

Cant answer ypur question directly

When the check engine light in my o1 Sienna came on the small Toyota shop that I used told me that the problem was due to one of 2 items, both expensive repairs. He told me to go to the dealer so that if there was an error I'd be pissed off at the dealer, not at him.

Reply to
Avrum Lapin

The charcoal filter is a black cannister probably near the fuel filter, driver side, frame rail, sort of under the air filter enclosure. Has probably two vacuum lines running to the top and several from the bottom. Not common for these to go bad in my experience. What is an emission control valve? Did they mean the EGR valve? There is no "emission control valve" per se - that is, by that specific name. Perhaps they meant the thermal vacuum switching valve. Excuse me for saying so, but this is another reason I do my own work. Where's the guarantee changing the charcoal cannister will solve your problem? The charcoal cannister is simply an accumulator for gasoline vapor from the fuel tank to keep it from venting to the atmosphere. Instead, the collected vapors are drawn into the intake manifold when the engine is running. When your check engine light comes on, there is a code generated that should help diagnose the source. Ask them the code number, and try posting that here.

Reply to
Daniel

I think it may be the charcoal canister purge control VSV?

Toyota had a bad start with the revised system. And check valves in the canister can go bad but is still rare. If it's a sticking VSV you can clean it by carefully taking it apart without cracking the plastic.

But if you see charcoal powder in the vacuum lines then the canister is shot.

Reply to
johngdole

well I just got through fooling with this business..have a 99 camry v6 and at 120,000 mi check engine light came on..code 446..short in circuitry for the gas fume recirculation system....dealer and I both decided it was not a problem since we don'y have emissions testing here. 2 weeks later a very LOUD hum started coming from the muffler ...well after running diags for 2 1/2 hours they figured it was the charcoal cannister. and yep..it was $349.00 ..it's loctaed next to the gas tank in the 99 camry. plus 2 hours labor comes to abvout $500. Solved all my problems though. for now

Reply to
RJB