Chevrolet Malibu sales jump 51.5%; dealers pleased

The NHTSA study showed no increase or decrease from DRLs. DRLs increased rates for some types of accidents and decreased them for others. The only clear benefit of DRLs that was found was that pedestrians were more likely to see vehicles with DRLs at dawn and dusk, and hence there was a reduction in pedestrian fatalities.

Reply to
SMS

Good assumption, but nothing to do with it. Daytime lights on bikes have only proven good. Makes them more visible so you don't pull out in front of them and cause an accident. I've seen it work. Same for cars, especially the ones colored the same as the pavement, including bumpers. Seen that too.

As I said, they are standard on U.S./Canada GM vehicles - as far as I know. DRL's are the law in Canada. Easier to standardize production. Congress should give Canada the "facts" about DRL's. Include that crap free with the "Waterboarding Manual." Congress conclude? Might be a good idea. Probably got paid by some anti-DRL greenie wackos via lobbyists. DRL's burning use some gas, adding to global warming. Are you part of that crowd? Don't worry about it. You can bypass DRL's in the U.S. and do your part to reduce global warming. Turn down the heat in the house just to be sure. I don't care much about DRL's one way or another, except for arguing More concerned that my toaster doesn't zap me when I stick a fork in there. So I don't.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

GM is part of that crowd. They got permission to disconnect DRLs when conducting their EPA mileage tests. Considering that the amount of extra fuel that DRLs use is extremely small, you have to wonder why they felt compelled to disconnect them.

Reply to
SMS

That is called "driver error". Has nothing to do with the DRL system.

Oh boy the NHTSA did a report! Seriously, neither you nor the NHTSA can tell me what bothers my eyes at night, or anytime. DRL's have been standard in Canada for years, and no one here complains about them. If you live in a US state where DRL's are not required by law, and wish to disable them, that is what you need to do. Like I said, agree to disagree.

Reply to
80 Knight

Not you specifically, but 80% of the population.

Reply to
SMS

you got that right! One will see Pennsylvania State Police stopping Canadian drivers, on I-81 most any evening, for not turning on their headlamps. A $132 'donation' to the states road system LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter