clean throttle body with spray

Is cleaning the throttle body something that a person without any mechanic experience can do? I heard the clean spray. How can I use it? I do not even know where the throttle body is.

Thanks,

qq

Reply to
quickcur

You probably mean clean the throttle plate. Depending on how confident you are in your mechanic skills, sure you can try it yourself.

Get throttle plate cleaner spray from the dealer. It tends to dissolve stuff faster than the generic stuff from Pep Boys - I tried them both.

Use a philips screwdriver to loosen the clamp securing the air intake hose to the throttle body. Remove the air intake hose (be careful not to damage it, if it's old ). Spray around the plate, and use and old toothbrush. Just to the left of the throttle plate will be a metal wire/line... wiggle it gently so that you can move the throttle plate (it's a butterfly valve) so you can clean behind it with cleaner and the toothbrush. The areas to the left and right of the plate need cleaning too - that's where it's sticking.

It also helps to put a rag just underneath the throttle body, since yes you will be making a mess.

This topic has been discussed to death in this newsgroup... look for "cleaning throttle plate".

Also check this article out.

Have fun!

Reply to
mrdarrett